The Getaway Reviews

• Jul 29, 2018

One of the worst remakes of all time!

One of the worst remakes of all time!

• Apr 07, 2018

Admittedly, I was very apprehensive to see this film, given that I'm a die hard fan of the original 1972 classic which is one of the greatest action films ever made. It's always worrying to see a new take on a classic film, but the 1994 version manages to hold itself up surprisingly well. It follows most of the same basic plot line, but what I liked about this version is how it explores the relationship between Doc and Carol McCoy more, particularly giving more life to Carol who was admittedly more window dressing in the original film. While this remake follows similar beats to the original film, it manages to form its own identity as it updates itself mostly right. It's not as slick or polished as the original film, but if nothing else, it is a very solid, entertaining popcorn action film with more steamy sex scenes. Even as a die hard fan of the original film, I think this version of the film gets way more shit than it deserves. I rather enjoyed my time with it and I found it to be a nice companion piece to the original film.

• Dec 08, 2016

Not a good film but for some trashy shitty reason I was entertained. some great 90's camera angles and action

• Oct 22, 2016

Pretty thrilling and dynamic action movie with handsome leads.

Pretty thrilling and dynamic action movie with handsome leads.

• Feb 25, 2015

If you take it for a shoot 'em up chaser then there is merit to this movie but if you just compare it to the original then it pales in comparison.

• Jan 18, 2015

Aceptable remake , hubiera preferido a otro protagonista en lugar de Alec Baldwin , Basinger está bien

• Dec 01, 2014

ok remake of the steve mcqueen c1972 classic

ok remake of the steve mcqueen c1972 classic

• Jun 26, 2014

Pretty much a remake of the classic Steve McQueen/Sam Peckinpah film of the same name, with identical scenes and lines, but it's entertaining in its own way with the different actors. Alec Baldwin is no McQueen, but he makes the character his own, kinda like what Pierce Brosnan did in the Thomas Crown Affair remake.

• Dec 14, 2013

El director Roger Donaldson intenta hacer un remake del clásico de Pekinpah sin mucho éxito: el formalismo de Peckinpah aquí no aparece y la química entre Baldwin y Basinger (pareja real cuando se filmó esta película) dista mucho de la química entre McQueen y McGraw. No se deje engañar y vaya a la fuente original.

• Aug 06, 2013

Directed by Roger Donaldson (The Bounty (1984), Cocktail (1988) and Species (1995)), this was a new adaptation of Jim Thompson's 1958 novel of the same name, adapted in 1972 by Sam Peckinpah. Walter Hill was brought back to do the screenplay, and was to have directed it, but had to drop out due to his commitments making Geronimo: An American Legend (1993), it does feel like it's copying the 1972, which gives it an air of pointlessness. Carter "Doc" McCoy (Alec Baldwin) has spent a year in a Mexican prison after taking part in a job for a drugs boss, Doc's wife Carol has mob boss Jack Benyon (James Woods) to get him out so Doc can rob a dog track, with Rudy (Michael Madsen) and Hansen (Philip Seymour Hoffman). But, the heist goes awry when Rudy tries to double cross Doc and Hansen, but Doc shoots him, and makes off with Carol and the money, but Rudy survives, and regains his strength with the help of vet's wife Fran Carvey (Jennifer Tilly), and they make off to El Paso to get the money back and get revenge on Doc and Carol, who are planning to flee to Mexico. It's less a re-adaptation of Thompson's book, and more of a remake of Peckinpah's film, with a lot of slow-mo shots being used. Despite having an absolutely brilliant cast on board, it does have the air of a cash-in, which is a shame, as it could have been a good film too.