Matilda Reviews

• Dec 06, 2019

Great movie effects story actors actrises cool magical story with comedy and Danny Devito LOL 👍👍

• Nov 27, 2019

My Daughter loves this movie and I feel its made her appreciate her school and the people around her more.

• Oct 25, 2019

Danny DeVito did a very good job Directing and acting. Putting a darker yet humorous tone into this 90's movie.

• Sep 25, 2019

An odd, silly, and charming adaptation. This film has a magic touch to it and I think all kids will be invested in this film. You also feel for the characters in hard times and this adaptation is very good at it.

• Sep 17, 2019

This movie along with Home Alone was my childhood. I remember at one point I watched this movie everyday, but upon multiple rewatches as a teenager, I love it even more than I ever used to. Mara Wilson was really good in this movie, she was emotional, she was entertaining and she was a very realistic portrayal of a child in an abusive household. She brought the heart to this movie and in a way, she brought out the kid in all of us, she was integral to the plot and she delivers bigtime, really impressive kid acting here, right behind MaCaulay Culkin. Pam Ferris was really good here as well, she was menacing and physically imposing and it really added to her being someone who loathes children. Ms. Trunchbull also fits into the plot quite nicely and makes the story more interesting once you find out she is Miss Honey's aunt. The Chokey became instantly iconic and memorable, it is such a good idea and it really feels like something that was pulled right out of a child's nightmares. Embeth Davidtz is good here, her relationship with Matilda blossoms beautifully in this movie and where her and Matilda's characters end up is very satisfying and sweet. Rhea Perlman is very good here,but she is the one character who could get too annoying and gratefully, she is only in about half of the movie, but she is entertaining and funny as hell whenever she is on screen and her Jersey accent is so good. Let's not kid ourselves here, the main attraction of this movie is Danny Devito who produced, directed, starred in, and narrated this film, you can really tell that he spent a lot of hard work and time consuming effort into making this the best movie adaptation of Matilda possible, and he succeeds on every level, he goes above and beyond even, past everyone's expectations for this movie. He is excellent as Mr. Wormwood, he is really nasty and vile, but you are entertained every time he is on screen much like Rhea Perlman, and his chemistry with her is what makes this whole family realistic, it helped that they are actually married in real life, and it translated so beautifully onto the big screen, and you feel almost as if this is how the actors are in everyday life, they were transformed into different people in this movie. Devito gives and amazing performance and some nice narration whenever his character isn't on screen, I honestly feel like Devito should have been nominated for best director by the Academy, his direction in the film is flawless, and you can really feel the personality of him seeping throughout this film, and you can't help but love every little bit of it. My favourite sequence is when Matilda and Miss Honey sneak into the Trunchbull's house and they have to keeping hiding and moving so that they won't get caught. It is so intense and nerve racking and the tension keeps you on the edge of your seat, it is such a good sequence and it is great music that makes you feel like it's you that the Trunchbull is after. This movie in my eyes is a masterpiece, it's basically flawless and It is one of my favorite movies of all time, it is one that I constantly keep going back to and I have so much fun with it every single time. This is a must see movie, it is perfect for families to sit down and watch together. I adore this precious piece of art and will always treasure it.

• Aug 09, 2019

Matilda, just like the book is aimed at kids and adults, with its share of humour and dark moments. DeVito and the young Mara Wilson really shine with an uncompromising script. We still think of Bogtrotter when we eat chocolate cake.

• Jun 08, 2019

Great movie! I've loved Matilda ever since I was little. The perfect family movie in my opinion. Touching, sweet, funny, fantastical, and even intense at some parts. Danny DeVito does great as the director and Mara Wilson is amazing as the innocent protagonist. This film also has one of the most intimidating villains in a family film in the form of the Trunchbull. Very memorable scenes and it's difficult to not have your spirits lifted while watching.

• May 20, 2019

Matilda is an orpham girl she loves reading but her family doesn't like reading.she likes go to school but she coudn't. It's good but not that good.

• May 11, 2019

Such a good movie with some exceptional sections but overall it is a slightly forgettable movie with only certain parts that stick out. Still will give a good laugh if you haven't seen it.

• Apr 27, 2019

Charming, funny, faithful to the source material's spirit and having enjoyable performances with a villain that's over-the-top enough for the audience to have fun watching but being known as inflicting cruel punishments on little kids for the pettiest of reasons to prevent people from rooting for her, Matilda is an enjoyable Roald Dahl adaptation. I can see why most of the people who like this movie REALLY consider it a bad idea to talk smack about it seeing how Doug Walker, who didn't like the movie, can't make a Nostalgia Critic episode out of it because of this movie's fans.