Seven Years in Tibet Reviews

• Sep 15, 2019

Excellent piece of history

Excellent piece of history

• Jun 13, 2019

This is a good movie about becoming a better person through learning from other cultures and learning from others actions. Throughout the movie we see Harrer transform from one person to another. Along the way he learns humility, compassion, and loss of ego. This movie is more than just wars and the injustice that took place in Tibet and the world during WWII. It's about spirituality. Although the movie felt boring at times and it felt like there were a couple of filler moments, you leave with a sense of wanting to become a better human being. You get the feeling of wanting to help others and show compassion. I think it's beautiful how it's also based on a true story and how even years after all the mess between China and Tibet, they've still remained friends in real life. I think this is a great story and one in which everyone can learn something from. I recommend it.

• Jun 09, 2019

What this movie says: 1. Chinese are bad, westerns are good. 2. All Tibetans hate Chinese, like Westerns. 3.Communists fight the Japanese in WWII, Nationalists loot Tibet. This imperialist film should be banned worldwide, not just in China.

• Dec 29, 2018

Very interesting story. I watched in three or four sittings. I recommend it. Great visuals.

• Nov 11, 2018

Slightly mixed feelings about Brad Pitt in this one. On the one hand, I think he showed a versatile emotional range and was able to convey a wide array of different dispositions throughout the movie. Especially in his vulnerable state, I think he did a good job of drawing in the audience. On the other hand, I felt he did a poor job of the accent in portraying an Austrian and just felt this let him down in credibility for the role. The relationship he had with the young Dalai Lama was engaging but could have been slightly developed. Overall this was a good watch, I just can’t help but feel that they could have turned a good movie into a great one.

• Nov 08, 2018

• Oct 12, 2018

• Oct 08, 2018

Powerful reminder that those who abuse their power should not have our respect. History repeats itself and it is a great loss of all. Interesting movie of the transformation of one man during a turbulent and violent time.

• Sep 30, 2018

A trip to Tibet with Brad Pitt. Seven Years in Tibet (1997) is a beautiful commemoration to those that died in Tibet during China's invasion of the country. It is equal parts a character study of Brad Pitt's Austrian mountain climber that learns to care about others while stranded in Tibet, while also chronicling the transition in Tibet to China's ruling power. I think it makes for a nice drama about humanity as well as a historical war dramatization. Jean-Jacques Annaud directs Seven Years in Tibet with a clever eye for beautiful sets, colorful costumes, panning shots, and intimate framing for each scene. I must mention John Williams' beautiful score that takes into account Tibet's music and culture into his composition. Williams sets the tone and atmosphere with carefully subtle musical cues throughout Seven Years in Tibet. Brad Pitt's performance is quite touching with a passable Austrian accent. Pitt plays the part of Heinrich Harrer, who befriends a young Dalai Lama. I thought his portrayal seemed very fair as the man is very cruel, selfish, and dismissive, then learns to understand other cultures and people over time. Pitt gave a nice display of empathetic acting in his Seven Years in Tibet role. David Thewlis, Mako, B.D. Wong, and especially Jamyang Jamtsho Wangchuck give excellent supporting roles in Seven Years in Tibet. They demonstrate subtle performances with an attention to detail that I appreciated. Thewlis is patient and thoughtful as Harrer's friend. Mako is kindly and knowledgeable. B.D. Wong is respectful and underhanded as the story goes along. Then, Wangchuck is fascinating as the young Dalai Lama. He is captivating in his serious nature and playful spirit. I think Seven Years in Tibet got unfairly panned. This is a thoughtful and important film that depicts Tibet like you've never seen it before. I hope audiences give it another chance.

• Jul 23, 2018

This was a controversial film upon release and if I am not wrong its outright banned in China. It's a good film based on the real experiences of an Austrian explored and the dalai lama during some difficult period in Tibetian history(basically Chinese Occupation). Brad Pitt plays the lead character and is pretty alright. David Thewlis plays his mate. The child playing the young Dalai Lama steals the show though and the scenery of Tibet is a plus point. Great topic but an average film. (A decent film on a faraway exotic land).