One Night Stand Reviews

• Nov 26, 2019

I didn't enjoy this movie at all. The plot is dull and unoriginal and I was always just wanting to know what was happening to RDJ's character. They used him and what his character was going through to get two people who are married to others together. Which is sooooooooooo stupid he is going through something serious and the movie barely focuses on it.

• Aug 02, 2019

Boring relationship drama with occasionally funny moments, intentional or otherwise. The acting is solid all around.

• Jul 25, 2019

ah 1997 how can you hate anything from that time, when literally everything sucks now!!

• May 16, 2018

This movie is a stereotypical relationship drama about infidelity and how it impacts relationships. It takes way too long for the one night stand to occur, and the movie goes through some of the most elaborate plot conveniences and coincidences just to figure out a way of thrusting these two characters at one another. It’s as if the movie is trying to justify their actions because so many things happen to lead them to this place. I almost started laughing because the title of the movie tells you what is coming, but they are going through the motions so much before they finally make it happen. Then they transition into the long sequences of guilt and marriage breakdown, because that’s what the cliché requires. This is close to a Lifetime movie in how obvious and convenient the plot is structured. The final predictable shift in the movie is to the inevitable awkward meeting of the lovers, with their spouses in tow, which leads to uncomfortable glances and no one speaking like a normal human being. It always amazes me how terrible people in movies are at acting like there’s nothing weird going on. Like, have these people never lied before in their lives? The most frustrating aspect of One Night Stand is that they utilize a homosexual best friend who is dying of AIDS as a plot device to bring everything to a head. It cheapens something that should be genuine and emotional. But this movie has no problem with cheapening real things. The manipulative way they wrap everything up as if it’s supposed to be this perfect happy ending that works out for everyone, made me laugh out loud. I won’t even talk about the stupid voiceover that Wesley Snipe utilizes several times for no reason at all, a couple of times even breaking the fourth wall and talking right to camera. The whole movie is a mess, and no one has any reason to watch it unless you want to laugh at it, or enjoy the few scenes with Robert Downey, Jr. that are heartfelt and sincere.

• Feb 06, 2017

February 5th-6th 2017

February 5th-6th 2017

• Apr 27, 2012

Very wonderful and memorable. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this film is. This has got to be the most underrated movie of all time(shows how much "taste" this society has). The most well written film I've seen so far and definitely the most well (if not perfectly) cast. Almost every scene is well played out and Wesley Snipes and Robert Downey, Jr. delivered memorable performances. Joe Eszterhas, author of the original script was paid a record $4 million only for director Mike Figgis to eventually rewrite it but I'm sure glad he did, whatever the changes he made. Everyone should watch it - don't ask why, just go see it and find out yourself.

• Jan 01, 2012

Snipes and Ming-Na Wen are terrific, while MacLachlan is as reliable as always in this fiery, filthy erotic story of love and life in L.A. well directed and scripted by Figgis, though he rather spoils things with an unlikely and rationalising twist.

• Oct 17, 2011

trying a little too hard for the twists, but watchable.

trying a little too hard for the twists, but watchable.

• Jul 13, 2011

Reasonably interesting. Somewhat original, and stylishly directed by Mike Figgis. Casting is interesting. While Wesley Snipes and Nastassja Kinski get top-billing, the other players are most famous in their own rights. Robert Downey Jr and Kyle MacLachlan get a fair degree of air time, but the bit players include some well-known names: Amanda Donohoe, Thomas Haden Church, Julien Sands, John Ratzenberger, Ione Skye, Saffron Burrows.

• Nov 18, 2010

This movie is very uneven, and even though Wesley Snipes gives a phenomenal performance, this movie falls out of the realm of reality. Its awkward when it shouldn't be, and not awkward when the situation calls for it. As a whole, the film is a mess.