Great Expectations Reviews

• Oct 21, 2019

Ethan Hawke was really great!

Ethan Hawke was really great!

• Sep 24, 2019

Fantastic work and retelling of the classic novel by Alfonso Cuarón. Seductive, touching and powerful. Maybe not his best movie but sure an enduring one! It deserved a lot more credit and viewers.

• Jun 26, 2018

Good story overall, but, I'm not sure that I enjoyed this version

Good story overall, but, I'm not sure that I enjoyed this version

• Apr 30, 2018

Poor adaptation of the legendary novel, though performances all around were excellent. De Niro and Baxter deliver one of the best of their carreers and Paltrow gave a stunning performance as the ethereally beautiful, but ice cold Estella.

• Apr 19, 2018

Good film, great at times

Good film, great at times

• Apr 12, 2017

There is something captivating in this film that fails to overcome the depth-lacking screenplay The story progresses without feeling anything for the characters or the characters seem to feel nothing for themselves and the human relations presented in the film lack the depth to which the film itself aspires. Pretentious and ambitious but lack of what it pretends and ambitions.

• Oct 22, 2016

Could have been better if they didn't tamper the story - especially the ending...

• Oct 19, 2016

This is two hours of fantasy, and a very good film. Hawke. Paltrow, Bancroft, DeNiro and Collins are all great, but the prizes go to the story and the director for creating a world that draws us in and that we want more of, even and especially at the end.

• Sep 15, 2016

72% Saw this on 14/9/16 What makes this watchable is relationship between Hawke's character with that of De Niro's and Chris Cooper while the love story lacks depth and emotion. Gwyneth Paltrow's character lacks depth and the ending is bad. however, Cuaron's direction and the music makes it enjoyable.

• May 23, 2016