What Goes Up Reviews

• Apr 12, 2013

What a load of crap! I thought I would've stumbled upon greatness as I did with indie gem "Wendy and Lucy", boy was I wrong. Disappointing performances from notable stars such as Steve Coogan, Hilary Duff and Josh Peck this Dramedy if you can even call it that failed in ever sense of the word. Set in 1986 with some characters not even looking the part, the story had potential at first but fell on its face hard with nonsensical subplots and overly dramatic characters. I would challenge my movie watching friends too watch so we can pick it apart but everyone else, Avoid avoid avoid at all cost.

• Mar 27, 2013

THIS IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE

THIS IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE

• Jan 28, 2012

This movie tries to be one of those cute, quirky, indie movies that everyone claims. to love. It has all the cliches, but is mostly just filled with annoying characters. You do get to see a scantily clad Hilary Duff, but not enough to make up for the rest of the movie. It also has Molly Shannon, one of the least talented actress there is. Skip it.

• Jan 04, 2012

"What Goes Up" tries really hard to find its point, sometimes a little too hard. That's not to say that there isn't any substance here--there was definitely something--but the film never digs deeper. Steve Coogan gives a good performance as the lead character (never heard of him before), and Hilary Duff does okay as Lucy albeit a few awkwardly uttered F bombs. Josh Peck is just creepy, and Olivia Thirlby just looks sullen or screams her head off. "What Goes Up" feels really somber and melancholy, but we never see into the drama. That's the problem. There's no real character development and not much story telling going on. It just skims the murky surface of an implied very deep pool of mystery. Which this film should have unraveled, but alas, it failed. Not recommended.

• Oct 21, 2011

I like movies that make you think. And although it was an indie film, the movie did manage to portray an effective message and an impacting plot.

• Sep 24, 2011

Slow and very predictable. Disappointing.

Slow and very predictable. Disappointing.

• Feb 17, 2011

• Oct 23, 2010

This movie really sucked! I want my 2 hours of time back.

This movie really sucked! I want my 2 hours of time back.

• Sep 29, 2010

Pretty boring. Tries to be quirky but ends up being lame and pretentious. The presence of Hillary Duff in the cast should tell you this movie can only go badly.

• Aug 30, 2010