About Sunny Reviews

• Mar 04, 2015

Quite possibly one of the most depressing films I've seen in a long time. That being said, Lauren Ambrose is still one of my favorite actresses - she did a great job depressing me.

• Dec 29, 2013

trashy woman struggling to support herself and her daughter: Beginning of the movie=SAD,Middle=SAD ...hmmm i wonder how this will end? yep SADNESS ALL OVER THE PLACE.

• Aug 27, 2013

Netflix must think I'm too happy because they recommended this truly depressing movie.

• Aug 21, 2013

There are just some movies that I know I shouldn't watch because I know I will cry but I do it anyway despite the fact that I know it will happen. I'm a single mom with no child support so when I see the angry outbursts over frustrations that Angela has that the child doesn't understand then apologizes and explains why mommy is upset in a way that the child understands. I can relate to it completely- the mix of feeling extremely protective of your child, unintentional feelings of jealousy and anger toward those who don't know what it's like, wistful longing to have that American dream with a white picket fence, and not letting many people close to you. Angela is not educated and makes foolish decisions with good intentions at heart which backfire and make her situation even harder. She's very similar to the stripper with the heart of gold typecast. This story focuses on a single mom but my parents married young and some of the stories they told me about coping don't sound all that far off from this one. Some say that this is what abortion is for and they are entitled to have their own point of view- it's better to them to be haunted by a ghost of a child they would have had instead of having the child and doing what you can to take care of them. There is no sympathy to parents who don't care about their children but Angela really tries, genuinely loves her child and wants to do what's best and knows that she should do things differently but doesn't seem to know how. The ending where she decides whether or not to give her child up is what got me. The first time that decision is made is whether or not to have an abortion when you know that life will be hard and then there are many that face that decision again when they just don't think they can do it on their own if it's not best for the child.

• Mar 05, 2012

Shot on location in Las Vegas, a single mother's life unravels and is forced to make the most difficult choice a parent can agonize over. Dylan Baker and Penelope Ann Miller are pitch-perfect. A small budget indie that doesn't pretend to be something it's not.

Glenn G Super Reviewer
    Jan 17, 2012

2012 INDEPENDENT SPIRIT AWARD NOMINEE - BEST ACTRESS: LAUREN AMBROSE This low key study in desperation is made memorable only because of a great performance from its star, Lauren Ambrose. The story of a young mother who fumbles her way through lousy jobs while poorly attempting to feed her daughter crappy meals, THINK OF ME comes across as the ultimate tiny ambition "Sundance" indie. Set in a back alley Las Vegas, you know, where all the cigarettes get smoked and where the locals really live, Lauren Ambrose makes every moment count, despite the fact that not a whole lot happens here. The ostensible plot has her character latching onto a shady investment opportunity from her boss, only to have it unravel before our eyes. Her lousy car keeps breaking down, a theft happens, lots of car services are called, and somewhat creepy acquaintances keep honing in on her cute daughter. Most of the events are ambiguous, giving us the feeling of a main character who lives in the moment, and makes every decision based on her gut. It's often fascinating to watch, as Ambrose imbues every scene with a guard-up sensibility. It's as if she wants everyone to believe she doesn't suffer fools, but when the chips are down, she's likely to go with whoever has the best offer for her immediate survival. I'm not sure if I was rooting for her or not, but I definitely felt for her and the increasing toughness of her decisions. Writer/Director Bryan Wizemann nicely captures the look and rhythms of single motherhood with its warrior mentality competing with small moments of hedonism just to make it through another day. It's a shame this slight but fascinating film hasn't gotten more attention, because Lauren Ambrose has certainly taken her career to the next level here. She'll have a hard time getting more votes than Michelle Williams at the Spirit Awards, but if ever a character embodied indie spirit, it's this one.