Among Giants Reviews

• Jul 27, 2018

A low budget British film set in Northern England, Sheffield specifically. Basically it follows a group of cash in hand painters painting electricity pylons around Sheffield. The gang are led by Pete Postlethwaite as Ray. Postlethwaite died in 2011 aged 64. This film was released in 1998 making him fifty or so. The central plot of the film revolves around a relationship between Ray and young Australian backpacker, hippy, student type Gerry played by Rachel Griffiths. I am sure Gerry could have been Ray's daughter. I'm not being agist but as the relationship develops in one scene we see them dancing around naked under the old Tinsley cooling towers. The film has some local interest to me but even in twenty years a lot of filming locations have changed or don't even exist anymore. The film develops at a slow pace and at times boredom did set in. To say it was written by Simon Beaufoy who was behind hit comedy The Full Monty, featuring a similar setting and cast members. It ain't half boring. The naked dancing scene has left me scarred!

• Jul 01, 2018

You know there’s better movies to watch so boo the movie I’m not going to watch it boring

• Apr 06, 2011

Excellent film.... the romance plot was a little flismy, but after all.... it's only a film so reality needs to be stretched a little. I guess that if you've never worked outside in a labour intensive job, then it won't be that interesting compared with some glamourous office girl grinding away making a living in the big bad city. I can see this a message by the director.... a social message where you have a group of hard working men that can only get work on the black economy. If this film is an attempt to highlight the explotation and bring about fair change then so much the better... more people should be aware!!

• Feb 01, 2011

Written by Simon Beaufoy, fresh at the time from the success of The Full Monty (1997), wrote this unusual romantic drama. Alot of baggage came with it, could it be another success?? Nope, it sank without trace, a great pity really, as it's a good film too. It has unemployed labourer and amateur climber Ray (Pete Postlethwaite) getting a job he can put his climbing abilities too. He's asked to paint 15 miles of pylons in the Peak District outside Sheffield. He assembles his team with Steve (James Thornton), Bob (Andy Serkis), Frank (Alan Williams), Weasel (Rob Jarvis) and Shovel (Lennie James). They have 3 months to do the job, along the way. they meet Australian backpacker Gerry (Rachel Griffiths), and she proves a dab hand at the job. Over time, she and Ray become romantically involved, and Ray proposes to Gerry which she accepts. However, the pace of the work takes it's toll on Ray and his workers, who are at each other's throats at times, and it affects his relationship with Gerry, who begins an affair with Steve, Ray's climbing partner. It's very unconventional, but it does showcase the great Postlethwaite in a romantic lead, and you get to see a young Andy Serkis line dancing. Beaufoy had better luck a decade later with Slumdog Millionaire.

• Jan 25, 2011

Wonderful. An evocation of tough times, and the madness of nothing left to lose. These people took risks and had fun. Pete Postlethwaite is excellent, as are the whole cast. Be warned though, it has a reverse narrative arc - starts OK, gets better, then dives to a position worse than the start. A glimmer of hope as the pink pylon shines out over Yorkshire hills.

• Jan 18, 2011

Nice exploration of a relationship between two different personalities and directions in life. The theme of painting power pylons is something different as well.

• Jan 16, 2011

Watch out! Bloody lovebirds over there! Finally romance that is worth watching. Starring sorely missed Pete Postlethwaite

• Jan 05, 2011

One of the Postlethwaite's excellent works. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/pete-postlethwaite-1946-2011-67731#5

• Feb 01, 2008

Great unlikely-romance movie.

Great unlikely-romance movie.

• Dec 16, 2003

[font=Arial]I watched “Among Giants” without knowing who exactly are in the movie. It came as a surprise to find out Pete Postlethwaite and Rachel Griffiths lead the film. The impression of Rachel in “Hilary and Jack” is still vivid, since I recently watched that one for the second or third times. As for Pete, It has been a long time since I saw his credibly acclaimed “in the name of the father”. His performance in “Among Giants” bring back memory how good he was in “ in the name of the father”. He was not at all outshined by Daniel day-Lewis. [/font][font=Arial]They played an unlikely couple, having huge age difference between them. Yet it’s not all unlikely they would fall for each other. They both have this unique characteristic in them. There was full frontal scene of Pete which really surprised me (considering he is not really that young). Yet he played it out so naturally, I even find these coolness and sexiness in him. [/font] [font=Arial]Though some of the scenes are good, the script is kind of weak, ending totally predictable. This is the kind of movie that you see the actors, not about the story or direction. [/font]