Bullfighter Reviews

• Jan 04, 2016

A two-star movie is a generous assessment of this strange movie. As a "B-movie", though, it's a five-star! If you're in the mood for a weird journey and weirder characters, this is the movie for your late-night appetite.

• Jun 22, 2015

If you love me, show me. A young aspiring bullfighter is in love with a gangster's daughter. The gangster actually happens to be the man who trains and stages most of the local bull fights. One night while the young man is visualizing a bull fight, the daughter lets a real bull out to chase the young man. The young man gets in trouble, the daughter comes to his rescue, and the daughter is killed by the bull. The young man immediately goes on the run as the gangster sends his goons after him to kill him and obtain revenge. "Don't make me dead." Rune Bendixen, director of Rich Kids and episodes from the television series Topmodel, Profession X, and Husvild, delivers Bullfighter. The storyline for this picture is very eccentric and a bit all over the place. The settings are interesting, but the writing and execution is below average. The acting is mediocre and the cast includes Olivier Martinez, Willem Dafoe, Robert Rodriguez, Guillermo Del Toro, Michael Parks, Donnie Wahlberg, and Michelle Forbes. "Bonjour, jock strap." Bullfighter was a movie I came across on Netflix and had to give a shot since it starred Willem Dafoe in what appeared to be a modern day western. Unfortunately, this film was pretty much a disaster. Martinez is not a strong lead character and the plot wasn't overly well executed or written. I recommend skipping this. "Trouble still follows you like a horny dog, doesn't it?" Grade: D

• May 13, 2014

I don't know exactly why I wanted to watch Bullfighter, but I didn't really hold high expectations for it at all. I think I just liked the idea of an action film against the backdrop of a bullfighting theme. But there is a reason you have never heard of the film, and that's because it falls into the territory of every bad film ever made. It is cheap, predictable and just plain boring. It doesn't have anything to do or anywhere to go, and it's obvious it was just crafted by idiots with a camera trying to make a quick buck. The story starts out cheap and gets worse and worse as it unfurls, but it never picks up in quality. It just gets more and more boring as it goes on, not going into exploring the aspect of its title well at all. It's the kind of film that would have been made directly for the Mexican video market, but it is streets behind the quality of Robert Rodriguez's El Mariachi, the potentially finest example of extremely low-budget Mexploitation cinema.. Bull Fighter boasts minimal action, poor acting, lacklustre direction and a general lack of entertainment. There is no action, little gritty crime, and you can actually see the actors failing in takes and having to repeat them right away. A film that has scenes like that just goes to show how poor quality it is. Bullfighter has little claim to fame, with its main source being the presence of Academy Award nominated actor Willem Dafoe for some reason. But its not a film worth watching for any sensible reason. I can't imagine why anyone would really consider it entertainment for any reason because it's the furthest thing from it. It is a B-movie you have never heard of and you should keep it that way.

• May 13, 2014

absolutely horrible, I'm amazed I had the determination to stay awake and finish the darn thing, it was so bad

• May 13, 2014

I rented this because I saw that Robert Rodriguez was actually going to be acting in it. That Robert Rodriguez! And then there was Willem Dafoe and Donnie Wahlberg and it was like I have to see this! And I wish I didn't for it's a terminal bore with horrible editing and this spiritual journey that's basically shoe-horned in. As for Rodriguez, he's in two scenes and speaks no words....what a waste of time.

• May 13, 2014

Dafoe, in a cameo, provides a few minutes of comic relief with his crazy eyes and hispanic accent, but "Bullfighter" is an entry level action flick by all further accounts. I guess Robert Rodriguez owed the director a favor or something and somehow convinced Dafoe to step in as well.

• May 13, 2014

is an alright fun movie that should not be taken serilously.

is an alright fun movie that should not be taken serilously.

• Sep 22, 2012

Rented and tried to watch...twice...what else can I say?...maybe it's a good film, but like Paranormal Activity and Cloverfield and The Blair Witch Project...I'll never know...couldn't get past the first 5 minutes with any of them....

• Oct 13, 2010

"Bull-Shit Fighter" is a more appropriate name for this disastrous movie.

"Bull-Shit Fighter" is a more appropriate name for this disastrous movie.