Creed II Reviews

• Randy R
    18h ago

Only mildly climate no build up excitement.

Only mildly climate no build up excitement.

• 3d ago

by the numbers. at this point it feels like the matrix to Rocky films has been revealed. somebody from someone's past brings back a rivalry and no matter what - you gotta fight em'. first fight you are cocky, second you are the underdog. meh - I much preferred Rocky 3 - which is the same film - but way more fun! this one was boring.

• 4d ago

Great movie. I loved how Drago had a back story. I sympathized with Drago. Michael B Jordan, Sylvester Stallone and Thessa Thompson were amazing in this movie.

• 6d ago

Creed II is a perfect example of coming ready to fight and fighting until the bell sounds. The acting, directing, sound production, just everything works with this movie. I will admit that the movie prays on my love for Rocky IV and that's how it got me in the theater but I was happy to learn that it was so much more. However, I do hope this is the end of the Creed Franchise. Nothing wrong with going out with a bang, especially since this was basically Rocky 2-4.

• HJ
    Nov 12, 2019

In real life, this weak black chump would have been beaten down by this Romanian king!

• Nov 08, 2019

I was really excited about this movie, but it disappointed me. It had the potential to be a fantastic movie, but settled for being at best….ho hum average. We have seen the character Rocky Balboa grow and develop through all the Rocky movies. Over the course of several movies we also saw the character Apollo grow and develop. This was the chance to see how Ivan Drago grew and developed. They tempted us with it, but ultimately blew it. Back in 1985, Ivan Drago was basically an automaton; he was the Soviet Union's puppet. He was in the Soviet Military and did what he was told by his superiors. Although he killed Apollo Creed in the ring in Rocky IV, it was not intentional. Drago simply uttered the words "If he dies, he dies" because he was trained to do, not to feel. He was cold and unemotional and did what he was told, he beat Apollo. In the final fight in that movie, we saw a little bit of Drago's humanity come out. Fast forward several decades…. The way Creed 2 opened with Ivan Drago in exile hooked me immediately. To see Dolph Lundgren reprise that role was awesome. It was 30 years later and I could finally see what became of Ivan Drago. I wanted to see how he had changed. He was no longer the puppet he was before. We found that Ludmilla had left him and his life crashed after he lost to Rocky. He was now training his son to be a fighter. My hope was that this movie might even focus more on Drago than it did on Rocky. In Creed 2, when Rocky came into his restaurant and the hostess told him some big guy was waiting to talk to him, I was on the edge of my seat for what I expected to be the climax of the movie and something I have been waiting to see for a long time. Mind you, I was not hoping for a fight. There was great tension as Drago remarked that Rocky had a lot of nice fight pictures, but noticed there were no photos of the two of them and their fight. As they spoke, Ivan told Rocky that after Rocky beat him, he lost everything. This is where I hoped Drago would express his regret over killing Apollo in the ring. He would tell Rocky how he had been a puppet of the Soviet Union and did what he was told. He would explain that although he was a trained soldier, the only life he ever took was Apollo's and it has been something he has wrestled with for many years. I thought it also was a total miss with the first fight between Creed Jr. and Drago Jr. in which Drago Jr. took a cheap shot that allowed Creed retain the title. Although it would have been almost identical to Rocky III, I think Drago should have won that fight fairly. Creed Jr. then had to train differently in order to fight Drago Jr., which was very similar to Rocky III. Although we lost Tony Burton in 2016, it was neat to see Duke Jr. be the trainer. As expected, Creed Jr. defeated Drago Jr. in the ring. This happened because Drago, showing his humanity again, threw in the towel. However, after that was when I expected the scene that would have made the movie great. When Rocky was standing alone watching the ring as Adonis celebrated, I wanted Ivan to come up to Rocky and the two of them have some bonding moment. Ivan might say something like, "Our time has passed. It is their time now. I only wish his father could have been here to see this." Rocky would then look at Drago and say something like, "He would have been proud." Drago would look to the ring and say, "I am proud for him." There would be a brief pause and then he would turn to Rocky and say something like, "I deeply regret the loss of your friend, and I offer myself to you as a friend." Drago would then extend his hand. Rocky would look at him for a moment and then reach out and shake his hand. At that moment a photographer would capture the moment. Then, the final scene of the movie would be Rocky back in his restaurant hanging a photo on his wall. When he steps back from it, we would see it is him and Drago shaking hands. Then off camera we would hear Drago's voice saying, "It is a good picture." Rocky would just turn to him and smile and ask "You hungry?"

• Nov 03, 2019

Another triumph for the direction they are taking the franchise. Glad to see it's working

• Oct 24, 2019

This is a pretty bland follow-up to director Ryan Coogler's new and exciting reboot of the Rocky franchise from a few years ago. Sadly, Coogler has bigger fish to fry now (aka "Marvel movies"), and the reins have been passed to a director that just couldn't replicate the magic. As a sequel, it's decent enough, but it doesn't have the hook that the first one did. The first film was a successful reboot because it didn't just rehash the old story, it kicked the whole franchise in the ass and made something new out of it. With this second installment, the originality of the reboot has slinked back into the form of a dull, predictable remake, repeating a storyline we have seen before. While the first film kept me guessing all the way until the end, there is never any doubt where this story is going to end up. This film's plot is too beholden to the original Rocky lore, and the film feels tethered to its old school roots in a way that holds it back… which is a real missed opportunity. This film was free to go in any direction it wanted...it's sad that it just wanted to go back and redo what's already been done. But I can't say I'm surprised... if there is one go-to tactic Hollywood has to make money, it's to play it safe, and this film does just that. Michael B. Jordan has returned to the role as Adonis Creed, but he doesn't bring anything new or interesting to the character this time around. He's brooding and morose and tough to root for. Sly Stallone is back as well and gives another soulful turn as Rocky, the consummate mentor… and I found it odd that in this new franchise where Rocky is only a secondary character, why is he the only one I care about? Frankly, I couldn't give a shit about anybody else in this movie. I'll give the movie credit for paying homage to the original franchise, specifically with the insane training montage sequences (always clutch in a Rocky movie), while still managing to stay away from the particularly cornball clichés that go along with that. As with any sports movie, there is always a generous helping of drama mixed in with the exciting sportsy sequences, but this movie is more drama than boxing (sometimes bordering on melodrama). More than anything, this film would have benefitted from little levity here and there… I mean, damn, this movie takes itself SO SERIOUSLY. What happened to having fun at the movies? Maybe I'm being too hard on it… there is nothing really bad about it, it's entertaining enough and it kept me reasonably interested throughout the 2-hour run-time. I just wanted something better, more thoughtful, and certainly more original to keep this new franchise that had so much potential afloat. This sequel just didn't knock me out.

• Oct 23, 2019

It's Rocky IV all over again - what's not to love

It's Rocky IV all over again - what's not to love

• Jay
    Oct 10, 2019

The first one was better, but I loved this film! Michael B Jordan is incredible! Thank you Rocky for passing on the touch and keeping the story alive. You are almost forgiven four number 4. LMAO