Friday Reviews

• Nov 14, 2019

A “hood” original, with Ice Cube and Chris Tucker shining in their respective rolls

• Nov 07, 2019

R.I.P. Pops BANG! BANG! BANG!

R.I.P. Pops BANG! BANG! BANG!

• Oct 30, 2019

• Oct 09, 2019

my favorite movie of all time

my favorite movie of all time

• Sep 26, 2019

A comedy that most people have seen (and you know this man).

A comedy that most people have seen (and you know this man).

• Jun 27, 2019

Hilarious, One of the best Ice Cube movies. A comedy about 2 friends and their problems in South Central L.A. Be ready to laugh

• Apr 07, 2019

Has aged well! Can be quoted over and over

Has aged well! Can be quoted over and over

• Feb 01, 2019

The best movie quote ever spoken: "Damn!"

The best movie quote ever spoken: "Damn!"

• Jan 30, 2019

Hilarious to this day! F. Gary Gray's classic stoner comedy film Friday (1995) is a crescendo of insanity. Gray captures the ludicrous nature of living in the hood with nothing to do with a humorous accuracy. His direction is constantly innovative and clever, going from unique angle and perspective scene after scene. Gray proves he is a director to be reckoned with immediately with this hilarious directorial debut. The comedic bits repeating and escalating to ridiculous heights makes for great moments, whether it is every character slamming doors, smoking weed, constant phone calls, incessant people stopping by, and random shake downs, Friday is always funny. Ice Cube and DJ Pooh's script is quite clever and very funny as they wrote realistic characters and memorable jokes. The comedic delivery of the average everyman Ice Cube plays as Craig is great. Ice Cube plays it tough, but sincere enough to be an endearing figure in the film. He feels like a guy that keeps getting bad news throughout this one bad day. Friday's main appeal is the wildly funny Chris Tucker character Smokey. His high pitched voice, erratic vocal impressions, limbs flinging around, and spontaneous jokes kill me. Chris Tucker is just comedy gold in Friday. Similarly, I love John Witherspoon as Craig's father Mr. Jones. I cannot stop laughing at his endless talking and complaining. Tiny's performance as the intimidating and massive Deebo is frightening to say the least. Bernie Mac is so sleazy and sweaty as the hypocritical pastor. Faizon Love is intimidating and humorless as Big Worm. DJ Pooh has a funny supporting role as the meek Red. Even director F. Gary Gray makes a memorable cameo as a guy working in the shop. The ladies in Friday are all perfect for each role. Nia Long is adorable and sweet as Debbie. Anna Maria Horsford is nice and thoughtful as Mrs. Jones. Regina King is funny and annoying as Dana just like a sister should be. Paula Jai Parker is so funny as Craig's trashy nagging girlfriend Joi. Lastly, of course, is Friday's incredible soundtrack. From Dr. Dre to Cypress Hill to Ice Cube himself, Friday's soundtrack is an eclectic collection of hard hip hop songs from 1995. It really keeps you in the time period and area. Ice Cube's title track Friday is brilliant with its deep rumbling bass and brutal lyrics. Ice Cube could do no wrong back then. Friday proves that yet again. Friday is an ever funny comedy that makes me laugh at the endless string of crazy events that build up into an intense finale. The few dramatic moments still feel poignant. When John Witherspoon tells Ice Cube to fight with his hands instead of shooting a gun still resonates with me deeply. Friday works on a comedic level and a dramatic level. F. Gary Gray's stellar direction keeps you focused, while Ice Cube and Chris Tucker's antics keep you entertained. There are not many funnier comedies out there, honestly.