The Graduate Reviews

• Nov 28, 2019

One of the best films of all time. Excellent acting and direction.

One of the best films of all time. Excellent acting and direction.

• Nov 16, 2019

Here are the problems I personally have with this movie: 1. First the movie tries to establish a reletable character by talking about the pressure he is put on. Then he liberates himself, but because that liberation means acting dumb and stalking, he loses all relatabilty. 2. Most people on this movie happen to be weird, which leaves the movie with a total of 0 likeable characters. 3. The progression of this movie is obvious from the first hint. 4. Some of the comedic moments don't land. 5. Kinda romanticizes stalking and undermines harassement towards men.

• Nov 01, 2019

Iconic movie, the ending is something fantastic!

Iconic movie, the ending is something fantastic!

• Oct 06, 2019

I watched it for the first time with great anticipation; I am shocked that this film is considered a classic of cinematic history. The musical score is great, as is Anne Bancroft's performance as Mrs. Robinson. There are also a few good dryly comedic moments between Bancroft and Hoffman juxtaposed quite nicely against the sudden but slow eruption of emotion in a sea of solemnity when the issue first surfaces of a potential relationship between Elizabeth Robinson and Benjamin -- triggering Mrs. Robinson's seething insecurity-fueled anger. However, there is absolutely no discernible depth of relationship at all between Elizabeth Robinson and The Graduate, who have one tumultuous date, that provides any foundation for a believable expression of love between the two to sustain the premise of the rest of the movie. That being the case, however, it makes some sense of the attenuated, uncomfortable, joyless ending where it seems to be sinking in that the pair may not have accomplished anything worthwhile after all. Overall, the language of the script and scenes between Benjamin and Elizabeth seem to be so ridiculously childish a stumbling toward a marriage proposal of sorts, that in addition to being utterly lacking in credibility it reminds one of Hoffman's later flat performance as an idiot savant in Rain Man; this time in co-ed stereo. Bottom line: A great musical score cannot save a sound premise unsupported by an utterly believable script and robotic, shallow relationships between between Benjamin and every other character in the story.

• Nicky
    Sep 30, 2019

The Graduate is an amazing movie . buts its not really pg

The Graduate is an amazing movie . buts its not really pg

• Sep 28, 2019

Great film although hoffman is far too old to play a teenager.

Great film although hoffman is far too old to play a teenager.

• Aug 26, 2019

Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft and Katharine Ross star in Mike Nichols' landmark movie of the late 1960s based on Charles Webb's novel perfectly adapted for the silver screen by Buck Henry (who plays a desk clerk) and Calder Willingham. Hoffman rises to stardom as an ultra-naive college graduate, who has a sexual fling with his neighbor's wife (Bancroft), and then later, he falls in love with her daughter (Ross). Featuring Simon and Garfunkel's delightfully immortal musical score and songs, "Here's to You, Mrs. Robinson" and "The Sound of Silence". Mike Nichols won the Academy Award as Best Director. Also starring Murray Hamilton, Elizabeth Wilson, Walter Brooke, Alice Ghostley, Norman Fell, William Daniels, Brian Avery, Marion Lorne, Elisabeth Fraser, Richard Dreyfuss & Harry Holcombe.

• Jul 16, 2019

I've seen movie several times. I detest romantic comedies but this movie is an exception great movie love it!

• Jul 11, 2019

takes some unpacking. stream of consciousness go: relatable as a current graduate without a real foreseeable future yet. dreams on horizon yet not even close to being realized. scared of just ending up like everyone else. deeper movie than what appears on the surface. also seems all hearty but actually feels really deeply existential and sad. we do not actually have a purpose. we won’t eventually have one. we just... are here. just chase after things here and there. but the ending was quite moving. such amazing actors. dustin hoffman. the looks they gave at the end. confidence and fear at escaping the arranged marriage. perhaps a glint of hope, who knows. at it not being to late for any of us. we still can have dreams for a future. but there isn’t a resolution. we’re not sure what’s next. as is life. also saw my familiar places of LA VERNE and SATHER GATE at berkeley. serendipitous with my time in life. also the camera in perspective from dustin’s character was often quite hilarious but also effective in showing viewpoint of this naive, innocent young man

• Jul 04, 2019

(Not a full review) The Graduate is a 1967 comedy-drama directed by Mike Nicholls. The film stars Dustin Hoffman as Benjamin Braddock and Anne Bancroft as Mrs. Robinson. Great acting, really strong cinematography, good comedy, and a great soundtrack. Over all I give it a 8/10