Hail Satan? Reviews

• Nov 09, 2019

Satanic cult, activist group, or troll army, The Satanic Temple (TST) are effective communicators in a world where that has become a challenge. 'Hail Satan?' is smart, entertaining and should be able to get the engaged viewer to ponder deeply. It's important to understand this is a nonviolent organization who condemns violence. Unlike right wing groups who use bullying and intimidation in a physical way, TST uses their collective minds to get desired results. It's not always, if ever, a comfortable watch, but it's as necessary to watch documentaries like this as it is to view ones on the other side of the spectrum. If you can understand one's human suffering you may just be able to help make this a better world. You also need some empathy. Final Score: 7.1/10

• Nov 04, 2019

Enlightening, expertly directed doc about an intriguing, daring movement of civic minded people with practical values they show an interest in abiding by.

• Oct 30, 2019

Great documentary. Funny and informative, if you are highly sensitive to Christian satire I'd recommend skipping. Otherwise, it's a great watch

• Oct 28, 2019

I really enjoyed this somewhat tongue-in-cheek documentary which follows religious pressure group, The Satanic Temple, in its campaign to erect a statue of one of their deities in the grounds of Oklahoma's state capital building. The catalyst for this was the attempt by the state to put a monument of the Ten Commandments in the grounds and thereby in the eyes of many violating laws that keep church and state separate. What we get is an unexpectedly thought provoking discourse on the role of the state and the attitudes of the religious right where the dangers of slipping into a theocratic regime are explored in a humorous and accessible manner. The documentary is directed by Penny Lane with a witty and no preaching manner. We also quickly come to see the members of the Temple of Satan to be roguish and likeable, often with a greater social conscience and attitude of tolerance than the Christian establishment. There are some lovely, deadpan moments where Temple leader, Lucien Greaves and his allies manage to tie the state government in legal knots while they have to debate the siting of the statue. I was very much left with the impression that most of the Temple members, dismissed as occultists by the rather sneering authorities, actually don't really believe in anything supernatural but rather have come together under a flag of convenience to fight for some hard won civil rights and principles. For me, this is an endevour that they need to be applauded for.

• Sep 19, 2019

Love this film. The Church of Satan folks display a greater understanding of American ideals than many elected officials. First sentence, first amendment - no established religion. Deal with it! Great film!

• Sep 17, 2019

This is a wonderful, thought provoking film. I watched with my 12-year-old son, and we had very frank, intersting conversations after. A little racy in parts, but so worth it.

• Sep 17, 2019

Hail Satan? is a worthwhile documentary that will unfortunately only be praised by those who didn't have a problem with its message to begin with.

• Sep 15, 2019

Excellent documentary that points out that America was founded on freedom of religion and separation of church and state. The Satanists are correct and people need to accept that "In God We Trust" and "One Nation Under God" was added in the 50s... While this doc is about Satanism, it's also about how our country should be more inclusive, and Christianity is in no way our state religion.

• Sep 12, 2019

Dark, yet enlightening. This documentary acts more as a political statement than a recruitment video for the satanic temple. A lot of other churches could actually learn ethics from this group of heathens.

• Sep 11, 2019

Symbolic of our times; many people have confused good with evil, making rotten fruit like this all the more tempting. Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness.