I Kill Giants Reviews

• Oct 21, 2019

The CGI and potential fantasy elements were great but there were lots of story gaps and relationships that weren't fully developed that we were expected to just accept. And although these crucial elements were rushed, the screenwriter still invested time in revisiting the same story beat multiple times: she confronts a giant but nobody is around to see it- does it really exist? The protagonist is rude and condescending to everyone, slaps the school counselor but doesn't get suspended or expelled for it, tells a student she going to kill her and skips school constantly but alas, all is forgiven because she's got problems at home. There is definitely sympathy that comes for the protagonist but that comes from just being human and not by anything the movie necessarily does. I feel this film had an opportunity to connect emotionally at a deeper level to match the high quality of the CGI.

• Sep 06, 2019

Its a beautiful film about youth and brokeness, a very unique take, just like the babadook

• Jul 21, 2019

Do NOT be fooled by the trailer if you think this is a straight up fantasy film - it isn't. SPOILER ALERT Based on the trailer, I went in to watching "I Kill Giants" thinking it was going to be a fantasy flick about Barbara (Madison Wolfe), a nerdy young girl fighting giants. Well, I was very wrong - other than her fighting imaginary giants. The film is 2/3 pseudo-fantasy and 1/3 teen angst which is masking Barbara having real difficulty coping. While well acted and engaging, the mash up just did not work for me - especially that so much at the weepy end was like a reveal when in any other context the life situations facing Barbara would have been more front and center. To me, a cheap plot device that was infuriating. The same concept was much better done, and more forthrightly, in "A Monster Calls". If you want fantasy, this is not the film for you.

• Jun 14, 2019

What an absolute horrendous movie. What the writers had assumed was some wonderful story of growth and getting over your demons just ends up being a waste of time. They had so little confidence in the audience understanding what the story was about they have the characters tell you verbally not once, but TWICE in the course of maybe 20 minutes at the end. You cannot have characters tell the audience the lesson of the movie when there is no build up to that lesson being learned by the character. This movie is so utterly pointless I would rather watch paint dry, at least that is more interesting.

• Apr 28, 2019

They ruined this movie with the ending. They build up the main character as a strong willed, powerful, imaginative, young woman and then they completely destroy her character by turning her into a NORM... It would have been better if she had been killed by a giant...

• Mar 31, 2019

psychological fantasy? is that a genre? its all i can think to call this beautiful piece of escapism combined with coming of age drama.

• Mar 26, 2019

Is this real life or is it just fantasy? This movie walks that thin line the whole movie. I really enjoyed it.

• Mar 24, 2019

It's not terrible, it's just not what I expected. I was excited to watch this and my excitement was quickly diminished early on in the story. I just felt like the trailer made it out to be a much different type of film.

• Mar 02, 2019

A tear jerker with a happy ending. Some weaknesses for sure, but it touched me.

A tear jerker with a happy ending. Some weaknesses for sure, but it touched me.

• Feb 26, 2019

booooo. Giants were just a metaphor for her issues. Was really hoping it'd turn out the giants were actually real the whole time and not just in her head.