Inherent Vice Reviews

• Oct 25, 2019

Not only does Inherent Vice think it's a film that's far more fun and sexy than it actually is, the story itself is convoluted to the point of sucking you out of the overall viewing experience.

• Oct 02, 2019

I think it's pretty clear that the plot isn't meant to be followed. Considering that the Pynchon novel is utterly confusing (as usual) the adaptation is a success. For me, the purpose of the film is to completely immerse you in a time and place that is so distinct and rich with sensory stimulation. Elswit's cinematography is so achingly beautiful and filled with color, also creating many memorable images with unique framing and character movement. The music is also evocative, both the Greenwood score and the incredible soundtrack choices like Can's "Vitamin C" and Neil Young's "Harvest" and "Journey Through the Past". And there are the fantastic performances, especially Phoenix, Brolin, Wilson, Waterson, and del Toro. They're so wonderfully comedic and earnest, bouncing off of each other to create a rhythm that never becomes boring. It's always thrilling to watch them. It's certainly a movie to watch again, to comb through all your favorite moments in their hazy glory.

• Sep 11, 2019

Surprisingly close to the foggy haze that somebody smoked while traveling in the back seats of a story where somebody checked in on an interesting topic, that ... wait a minute - who am I again? 😂

• Jul 29, 2019

not for everyone but it's big thank you to noir from director

not for everyone but it's big thank you to noir from director

• Jul 18, 2019

PT Anderson used to make REALLY good movies, but his last couple (including this one) have really lost me. They are boring, convoluted and ultimately leave this view very unsatisfied. Josh Brolin is really good as detective "Bigfoot". I did like a couple parts of the movie, but I was really bored and came very close to turning it off a few times.

• Jun 19, 2019

Funny noir spoof with an incoherent plot. Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice (2014) is like the comedy styling of The Big Lebowski's slacker stoner meeting up with the hard-nosed detective work of The French Connection on a missing person search akin to The Third Man. It's mindbogglingly incoherent with awkward dreamy editing that makes the audience not understand who anyone is or what anyone is talking about ever. The sheer volume of whispering characters, random jump cuts, and blathering dialogue can be frustrating, but if you give Inherent Vice a chance, it will make you laugh. Anderson's direction is a neat adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's novel Inherent Vice, but it will confuse most audiences. Viewers will find themselves asking what is happening, what was revealing, where are we, and what anyone is saying constantly. The fun of Inherent Vice comes from the silly performances and goofy story told in a briskly paced manner. Inherent Vice is not as neatly complex as Magnolia, nor as ambitious as There Will Be Blood, but Anderson finds an amiable tone for this strange film. I found myself greatly enjoying the entire movie despite not knowing what was happening for most of it. Joaquin Phoenix' bumbling stoner detective is hilarious and endears himself to you immediately. Josh Brolin's tough cop is brutal and excessive in the most entertainingly funny ways. Katherine Waterston is gorgeous and dreamy with a serious side that is hypnotic in Inherent Vice. Owen Wilson has a fun supporting snitch character. Benicio del Toro's lawyer informant friend to Phoenix is super delightful and charming. I wanted even more of Benicio! Reese Witherspoon is excellent as the strict and proper D.A. attorney and love interest to Phoenix. Her charisma is ever apparent despite Paul Thomas Anderson horribly under-utilizing Witherspoon. She is fun while she is on screen, though I wish Reese was in Inherent Vice a lot more that the few minutes she got. Lastly, Jena Malone gives a great supporting actress performance. Martin Short is a gut buster of a cameo. Michael Kenneth Williams has a powerful cameo. Maya Rudolph gets one particularly biting line. Eric Roberts gives one of his best, if brief performances of his career. Lastly, I adored Hong Chau as the alluring and ridiculous Jade. In all, Inherent Vice is just one more editing pass short of being a great film. I found it marvelously entertaining despite its coherency issues. I think it's worth a watch regardless, if only for Joaquin Phoenix and Josh Brolin alone.

• May 24, 2019

Una trama interessante e decisamente per pochi accompagnata da un'ottima regia generale ed un fantastico protagonista. Cio' che colpisce maggiormente e' il particolarissimo stile con cui il film e' diretto nei minimi particolari. Il regista Anderson dimostra ancora una volta il suo talento versatile proponendoci una sceneggiatura diversa ed eccentrica, con personaggi fuori dagli schemi ed interessanti sotto tutti i punti di vista. Purtroppo la sua lunghezza eccessiva e una storia piuttosto monotona riducono l'intrattenimento anche dello spettatore piu' paziente.

• May 24, 2019

another rare masterful film by a genius

another rare masterful film by a genius

• Mar 24, 2019

Very well made film with some great performances by Phoenix and Brolin!

Very well made film with some great performances by Phoenix and Brolin!

• Mar 03, 2019

Inherent Vice is interesting. Strange storyline, great acting and solid ending. Phoenix and Brolin kick ass in this one. I really had no idea what was happening, but I had a good time watching it. I give this film 7 🤙🏽s out of 10. @seeinherentvice #InherentVice