Journey's End Reviews

• Sep 30, 2019

Quite good considering the restrictive settings. I half expected Baldrick from Blackadder to come in and say,' I've got a cunning plan.' But worth a watch.

• Jun 01, 2019

'Journey's End' is a film with outstanding acting, realistic WWI scenes, and a slow build that raises tensions and engages the viewer. The picture isn't without what could be perceived as a flaw. You can tell this was a play. As a film it's claustrophobic. Rarely do you get a big picture of this wartime drama. Eventually I bought in, but I can certainly see how the way this was filmed would bother some. One thing that isn't an issue is the acting. These characters are developed and that are believable. It's a powerful film and although the reality is we have no idea what the war was like, I couldn't help but think this is about as believable as it gets. War movies have been done hundreds of times, but this one felt unique and authentic and is a definite recommend. The ensemble cast is darn near perfect. The film has a perspective and it's actors do a fantastic job with facial expressions and non verbal communication (as well as an excellent screenplay) to tell you just what that perspective is. Final Score: 8.2/10

• Apr 29, 2019

An amazing movie that illustrates the sheer stupidity of war. Claflin and Butterfield are especially impressive.

• Feb 02, 2019

Could get more stars if you don't mind watching a black screen. The British have never figured out how to shoot a night scene other than a black screen. Movie been done a thousand times. Definetly not '' All quite on the western front ''.

• Dec 26, 2018

A bleak and straight ahead telling of horrific events in the final year of WW1. Focussing on trench life and a few characters is the film's strength. However after seeing Peter Jackson's documentary, you wonder if the trench life is portrayed grimly enough (as bad as it seems in this film).

• Dec 24, 2018

By far the best depiction of the First World War in a film. Superbly acted, great set design, a must watch for anyone interested in the First World War.

• Dec 09, 2018

I have seen a few great war films in my time - saving private ryan, hacksaw ridge, platoon, full metal jacket and the like - this is different to them all - a realistic a life in the trenches, strong acting, psychological trauma and the impending doom of being sent over the top to their slaughter for a few yards of land. whilst it is difficult to describe such a film as entertaining it brings the horrors of world war i into stark reality. well worth a watch.

• Dec 08, 2018

From the vantage point of a century on, we think of WWI as the pointless, mass slaughter of men led by inept officers. Of course, it was much more nuanced than that and this film shows that superbly. With the exveprion of a brief foray into No Man's Land and a scene from home, the action takes place in the claustrophobia of a small section of front line trench and dugout. The sense of impending doom and despair are, at times almost hard to bear and this is a testament to both the story and the acting. Ultimately, it's less about war and more about human nature. Less about the big picture and more about the immediate environment. It's about being trapped in a small shithole in the ground and wondering what is coming next. By the end, I was as relieved as anyone when the balloon went up.

• Dec 06, 2018

By far one of the best war movies I've ever seen, brilliantly acted and incredibly real it doesn't fall into the same traps other war movies fall into by showing massive amounts of fighting for the sake of the spectacle, it focuses on the humanity of the characters and it really makes you feel their plight. Some of the scenes are so tense I actually felt physically ill watching. Fantastic movie.

• Dec 04, 2018

It is an hour and 47 minutes too long ? The brothers in arms homage of the retreating company passing the incoming company was about as good as it got. Didn't do the horror justice enough. Pretty lame acting by the actor playing Stanhope. Don't waste your time, there is more depth on any war memorial.