The Last King of Scotland Reviews

• Nov 04, 2019

It's not the best biographical film I've seen. But for what it is. Its fair. Forest Whitaker does a splendid job as Idi Amin. That is the highlight performance. The other performances are fine but nobody else really stands out. To be honest I'm not a fan of James McAvoy. But for what this film is, it seems somewhat historically accurate as far as I can tell. I would give it a thumbs up. But if you miss this one. You're not missing much. Amin: "They take you to a tree and hang you by your skin. Each time you scream the evil comes out of you. Sometimes, it can take three days for your evil to be spent. Pull him up."

• Sep 09, 2019

The Last King of Scotland is a chilling drama that has your heart pounding up until the very end. James McAvoy is charming and phenomenal in this role and when paired with Forest Whitaker it makes for a gripping movie. The perfectly-paced progression of this movie, the romance subplot, and wonderful performances make for a great use of two hours!

• Jul 14, 2019

Typically movies like take such an artsy style that makes me roll my eyes. But not this film. James McAvoy and Forest Whitaker took this movie serious. They did a great job a bringing this true life story to the big screen.

• Feb 26, 2019

great film & spine chilling perfomance by forest whitaker. this film took me aback into those days where ugadan dictator idi amin terror rule was awake. my rating 4.5/5

• Jan 27, 2019

Despite the title(which to be fair has a meaning that relates to the ongoing of this film) this is about the infamous Ugandan ruler Idi Amin- who has, I must add, has been portrayed stupendously by Forrest Whitaker(who won an Oscar for this). The Last King of Scotland explores the turmoil and troubles surrounding the beginning of one of the country's darkest recent periods: the Idi Amin regime, which lasted from 1971 through 1979 and resulted in thousands upon thousands of deaths. (The exact number is unknown, but is estimated to be between 80,000 and 500,000.) Based on actual events, the movie takes us into Amin's inner circle through the eyes of an outsider who is initially charmed by the charismatic leader until Amin's true nature begins to bubble to the surface. The Last King of Scotland does not refrain from showing the brutality of what Amin's reign becomes. The film contains its share of gruesome images, including a torture scene that depicts in unflinching detail what happens to someone who betrays Amin.

• Nov 13, 2018

This film was great.

This film was great.

• Oct 22, 2018

While it's not 100% historically accurate, it doesn't stop this film from being a shocking and bold thriller, showing us hope descending into greed and corruption. There are some very uneasy moments, and the film builds up a very good amount of suspense. The cinematography is raw is gives us a good feel of 1970s Uganda, without forgetting James McAvoy, who would later be epic in Split (2017), who is very good as a naif doctor, and David Oyelowo also gives a good supporting performance too, but it's really Forest Whitaker who really takes the show with an obvious Oscar winning act. Overall, this is a shocking, and yet very true depiction of one of history's monsters. Recommended !!

• Sep 18, 2018

Powerful insight into the mind of Idi Amin, the two leads work BRILLIANTLY off one ANOTHER and that relationship holds together an otherwise SLIGHT plot.

• Sep 04, 2018

and the execution that satisfies it.. The Last King Of Scotland The Last King Of Scotland is a character driven drama about a friendship between two polar opposite personalities that is explored through geopolitical perspective. The premise requires extraordinary chemistry between the lead characters and is delivered unflinchingly by the cast through their performance. But the primary reason why it works is that it isn't based upon one's textbook formula of depicting the bonding from the scratch. These pragmatic characters bonds instantly with mature mutual objectives or ideology and the makers have somehow managed to keep it on the edge of the storyline that leaves the audience uncertain and unaware of the repercussions that it is breeding or where the track is leading to. The writing is mature, adaptive and layered if not gripping, but is certainly worth the work it offers. The background score isn't impressive but few songs are up beating along with metaphorical cinematography and fine editing. The camera work with unusual theme draws the attention which is then celebrated by the cultural references and the knack for projecting inherent rituals that is well detailed. McDonald's world is bolder and much smarter but as much as work it has invested on the semantics, it fails to foliate the subjective procedure of it. As mentioned earlier, Whittaker has never been so convincing and so confident and on the other hand, McAvoy shows some promising range on portraying vulnerability and slick persona. The ruggedness among the three dimensional characters, its perpetual ideology and panache on methodology and, stellar performance that fuels this drama are the high points of the feature. Armed with a fascinating and creative structure, The Last King Of Scotland is an art that demands to be explored upon and its the writing that demands it and the execution that satisfies it.

• May 12, 2018

A good film, despite its weaknesses. Exceptional performance by Forest Whitaker makes up for some bad and cheesy moments.