Monogamy Reviews

• Mar 03, 2013

A complete wasted one hour and thirty minutes. The reason I don't go to theaters. Since I am a photographer I'll give a sacrificial one star, NO just a half of star.

• Feb 17, 2013

Shoulda seen the end coming from a mile away, but I didnt which is probably why I kinda, in a small way, liked this.

• Feb 08, 2013

Even though I liked the idea of the plot, I did not care what happened to any of the characters, just like the photographer became bored with his job, mid film I got bored with all the protagonists.

• Jan 25, 2013

Intense and emotional in all the right ways, but I'll never watch it again.

Intense and emotional in all the right ways, but I'll never watch it again.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    May 30, 2012

In "Monogamy," Theo(Chris Messina), a photographer, and Nat(Rashida Jones), a guitarist, may not have much but they have each other.(Theo also plays the piano but has no wish to get up in front an audience like Nat does.) In three and a half months, they will be married, despite his father giving them grief over the lack of money they make. For Theo, that comes from photographing weddings and a side business where he pseudo-surreptitiously takes photos of clients. The latest is Penny(Meital Dohan) who tends to be more revealing than originally imagined. "Monogamy" gets off to a fine start with its natural performances. It also provides some incisive commentary on all the nonsense and stress that go along with getting married. And then after an improbable plot point, it just runs out of ideas and steam.(Even before this, any scene involving Theo's friends was sucking the oxygen out of the room.) After a while, I was so desperate for any sign of life that I would have happily accepted any cliche you could think of, but no luck there, either. In the end, the movie gets the tone of sexual frustration right while at the same time making the audience extremely frustrated.

• May 23, 2012

I was pretty indifferent until the end. Really loved the ending, I thought it pulled the whole film together.

• Jan 25, 2012

Monogamy follows a bored wedding photographer and his fiance in the months leading up to their marriage. As a side project, Messina's character starts a small company called Gumshoot, where people would pay him to take pictures of them without knowing who he was or where he is. When he begins to take pictures of a mysterious girl that irks his fancy, things take a turn for the worse in his relationship and his overall well being. The film, although quite slow moving, is shot very well and it moves along at it's own speed quite nicely. Messina and Jones give good performances, and do what they can with a script which could've used a lot of work. The film's themes strike close to home with anyone who is about to get married and is unsure of the decision. The fear of the commitment and the temptations of voyeurism take a huge toll on Messina's character, and his daily life of putting up with the corny married couples while taking photos couldn't help the matter much. The film was a little bland, and although I did enjoy it, I felt like it was a few scenes were a bit unnecessary, and I felt myself losing interest in the story and the characters three quarters of the way through. Overall, I give Monogamy a 6.5/10, noting that with the budget they probably had to work with, it was a good effort, although it could've been made more interesting through the cinematography and mise en scene, in particular with some of the colors used and the lack of symbolism throughout.

• Nov 08, 2011

Dana Adam Shapiro is so talented. Its shot so beautifully. Must watch.

Dana Adam Shapiro is so talented. Its shot so beautifully. Must watch.

• Oct 11, 2011

A semi eary movie about a couple that seem to be going through the motions 3 months before they're wedding. And although the movie itself feels intimate, the acting and characters are uninterested. There seems to be something just under the surface bubblingvabout but it never makes itself visible on screen. All thing 'Monogamy' offers are average.

• Sep 08, 2011

Some wonderful moments in this film, but overall, not good enough for a better rating.