My Week with Marilyn Reviews

• Feb 18, 2019

I haven't read the book but the story depicted on films comes across as wish-fulfillment bollocks to me. Williams has received plaudits for her depiction of Monroe but I never thought I was watching anything other than an OK impersonation. The film itself is fluff other than if you swallow the nonsense romance angle depicted.

• Jul 30, 2018

A solid ensemble that is mostly wasted on some minor material... However, Michelle Williams is a literal goddess.

• Jul 01, 2018

Michelle Williams plays one of history's most beloved cultural icons to perfection. Williams nails the insecurities of the biggest star of her time as if they were here own. Eddie Redmayne showed why this film projected him to the top, as the young man captivated by Monroe. The film makes me wish Williams would play Monroe in full out biopic

• Jun 18, 2018

It will be a race to the Oscars this year as Michelle Williams' portrayal of Marilyn Monroe is neck-and-neck with Meryl Streep's portrayal of Margaret Thatcher. What makes both of their performances amazing is that they don't just LOOK like the people whom they are portraying, but they capture the absolute essence, making the viewer believe wholeheartedly that they ARE the person, not just acting the part. Williams doesn't just doll herself up to look like Marilyn. That alone was quite a feat since Michelle Williams is structurally unlike Marilyn. I was very impressed with the makeup and wardrobe. However, what sets her apart as an extraordinary portrayal of Marilyn is how stunning, and I'm truly understating it, of a job Williams does evoking the tortured soul of this woman. I've read a lot about Marilyn over the years and knew about much of the history discussed in this movie, but I've never had a sense of how she was able to be this darling on the screen and for the public while also being so troubled in the background. I absolutely loved watching how Kenneth Branagh's Sir Laurence Olivier struggled with realizing her brilliance, yet making sure he wasn't captured in the web she clearly likes to weave around those who fall prey to her. For a woman who proclaimed to not be loved by her parents or by her many husbands, thus dramatizing and victimizing herself, she creates an air of powerlessness, but those closest to her, especially the men who fall helplessly in love with her, she has all the power in the world. While Marilyn's story has always been told from a sad perspective, the reality shown here, and what seems very natural considering her past and condition, is that Marilyn didn't understand what real love was. No father. An insane mother. A very false sense of love and admiration from Hollywood and her fans. Husbands that wanted her because she was Marilyn. And, in this story, Milton and Colin, two in this movie of probably countless men who succumbed to her charms and story, wanting to care for, love and help her, which she allows, until she doesn't need them anymore. The trail behind her of broken hearts, to which she gives very little thought. The performances by all are amazing in this movie. In the end, Michelle Williams may have the edge over Meryl in the Oscar race simply because the strength of the story and supporting performances are much stronger.

• Jun 12, 2018

an easy mundane week.. My Week With Marilyn The chemistry among the characters; despite of stellar performance, comes off a bit shallow as the audience fails to connect with it. The adaptation by Adrian Hodges isn't smart; even though gripping and keeps the audience engaged with it, for the missing puzzle in here is the poetic tone or a definite point that it never even attempts to reach for. It is rich on costume, production and make-up design but is short on other technical departments like sound department and editing which could have been a lot better if supervised appropriately. Simon Curtis; the director, lacks better execution skills especially around the edges which is a bit chalky in here. The feature scores majestically on performance where each individual supporting cast (Eddie Redmayne and Kenneth Branagh) is helping the protagonist (Michelle Williams) to reach the shore safely. The script is the real culprit in here that doesn't breed either the sincerity or the crisp out of the characters or the bubble that they all reside in, wasting a mighty window which could have utilized easily (especially when it's right there). My Week With Marilyn is an easy mundane week which is forgettable as soon as you are off screen.

• Apr 09, 2018

Michelle Williams shines as Marilyn Monroe! Simon Curtis directs his magnum opus with his 2011 movie My Week with Marilyn. Curtis captures the most beautiful lighting in his excellent cinematic shots. Curtis' cinematography is compelling all the way into this sweet drama. Lovely scenes set up with care give way to powerful performances in this emotional biopic of an older Marilyn Monroe. Michelle Williams is the real star of My Week with Marilyn. Williams portrays Marilyn Monroe with a seductive charm as well as a curious sadness. Williams perfectly expresses the emotional insecurity that Monroe suffered from with a respectful take on her drug addiction. Monroe's mood swings and depression couple together nicely with her joyless marriage. Williams plays Monroe's flirtatious movie star with a delicate innocence and a playful wonder. She always has this sweetness as Marilyn that draws you in deeper. She really is the spitting image of Marilyn Monroe and nails her dainty whisper voice that Monroe always sported. Michelle Williams gets you to fall in love with Marilyn Monroe, while simultaneously empathizing with her unhappiness. Michelle Williams is a delight! Kenneth Branagh is superb as Sir Laurence Olivier. He gets Olivier's fervor for plays and serious acting as well as his frustration with Marilyn's inability to act. Branagh is so believable as the dramatic lead actor that just wants to make great films. You see how uncomfortable Marilyn makes him. Branagh is also very funny as the disgruntled legendary actor that must cope deal with the perpetually late, drugged up, incompetent, and inconsistent actress that was Marilyn Monroe. Kenneth Branagh has many moments of clarity that break through to you wherein you see his passion for acting and film making. It's an incredible supporting role from Branagh. Finally, Eddie Redmayne is the new guy in Hollywood that is equally dazzled by the glamour of movie making and the charms of Marilyn Monroe. He matches his character arc with an eagerness to help make movie magic, then he must experience heartbreak to mature. It's a nice character portrait of a young man of the times. I liked Redmayne in My Week with Marilyn quite a bit. Watch My Week with Marilyn for a heartbreaking look behind the screen Marilyn, behind the scenes of movie production, and a great many laughs at the ridiculousness of it all. Michelle Williams solidifies her place in movie history with her beautifully subtle depiction of Marilyn Monroe's emotional pain. My Week with Marilyn is one of the most nuanced films about a hurt Hollywood legend.

• Jan 26, 2018

Michelle Williams is incredible in this!

Michelle Williams is incredible in this!

• Jan 19, 2018

Could have used an actress with greater natural sex appeal (not when just in character), and the emotions of the characters mostly carried the film from beginning to end. Flawed, etc. but not completely bad.

• Oct 14, 2017

nice and fun biographical movie to see, good portrayal by Michelle Williams, but movie as a whole lacks of certain depth

• Sep 14, 2017

This British drama film is simple in its style which makes it quite easy to watch. The first part deals with the making of the film, but I enjoyed the second half much more, which looks at Marilyn's personality and vulnerabilities. Featuring solid performances from a strong cast and pleasant settings, this is an interesting historical film. GGN