Outcast Reviews

• Feb 13, 2018

Its ambitious if uneven hybrid of grim social realism and flat-out monster movie theatrics conjures up a commendably brooding atmosphere. It's just a shame the story feels so muddled.

• Mar 29, 2017

this movie speaks to me in accents so thick you'll need subtitles.

this movie speaks to me in accents so thick you'll need subtitles.

• Mar 02, 2016

Super-average horror, whose only novelty for me was it being set in a Scottish location and the presence of James Nesbitt. I enoyed it well enough at times, but the CGI gets pretty rough at times and kills a lot of enthusiasm I might've had for things. Rental?

• Aug 21, 2015

Was actually really good. Not a normal Nicolas cage movie I must say this is quite entertaining.

• May 20, 2015

The development of the story took 3/4 of the film leaving no room for climax. Character development is also not strong enough for me to feel for their pain.

• Feb 01, 2015

Firstly wrong title for this movie. Doesn't really fit in my opinion. Secondly casting. Ok we get it Nic Cage likes to do excessive over-the-top acting while wearing grotesque hair pieces. And lastly while I can say I somewhat enjoyed this it was definitely a challenge to sit through. Nic Cage desperately needs a new agent. And better film choices!

• Sep 01, 2014

A well crafted horror thriller. The cinematography is excellent, creating convincingly dreary atmosphere, and the acting is also very good. It felt as though the story could have been developed a little more, but still, kudos to first-time director for making an engaging thriller.

• Oct 12, 2013

Atmospheric but awful. Not scary or interesting.

Atmospheric but awful. Not scary or interesting.

• Oct 02, 2013

A Triumphant Co-Production Between Ireland And Scotland, Which See's A Doomed Romance, Mythical Irish Creatures And An Edinburgh Setting. This Film Is Both A Romance And A Horror, That Works With Its Irish & Scottish Mythology And Its Strong Plot.

• Adam M Super Reviewer
    Sep 01, 2013

Bleak but decent horror/monster movie. A woman and her teenage son move to a small Scottish town but it soon becomes clear that they don't stick around in these places for long as it seems they, the boy Fergal in particular, are being hunted by a man using witchcraft to help get into their strange world but Fergal's mum is also a powerful witch and uses her powers to deflect him. Meanwhile, a beast is lurking around town, killing people at night... Outcast is pretty bleak and dark. It's rainy setting perfect for this type of film, giving it a gritty feel. I also enjoyed the occult element, Outcast not just being another generic monster/werewolf movie, more of a brutal horror/thriller with a pinch of coming-of-age to. British viewers might also recognise James Nesbitt and Kate Dickie, who do a fine job along with the, mostly young, cast.