Saving Mr. Banks Reviews

• Nov 15, 2019

How would you know the creator of the positive can-do Mary Poppins, P.L. Travers, was rigid and tormented by her past? If you don't cry watching Emma Thompson portray her at the premier of Mary Poppins, you might really need to go fly a kite.

• Nov 13, 2019

Stunning. The emotion, the story, the acting. It's practically perfect in every way.

• Oct 24, 2019

Extremely enjoyable film with uplifting team of actors. Nostalgic and touching to hear lovely songs and familiar music. It was very moving and unecpected with connecting story historical. Loved this fantastic film!

• Oct 15, 2019

Hancock does an exquisite job at portraying the secrets lying behind the stories of Mary Poppins. The whole movie is made very engaging by its dynamic structure, and by the wonderful interpretation of all the actors. The story takes place in two alternating, different time periods; this is what makes the arrangement so interesting. On one hand, we see Pamela Travers, a lonely, quite bitter writer who lives in London, and who has been requested to travel to California in order to give Walt Disney the rights to make a motion picture based on Travers' popular novel, "Mary Poppins"; on the other hand, we see Helen Goff, aka Pamela Travers, a young, imaginative girl who lives on the Australian prairie, and all the events, especially the ones related to her father, Travers Goff, that lead her to write her novels. The use of flashbacks involves the viewers, capturing their attentions, and making them wander what will happen next in both of the contexts. The audience learns that behind an apparently childish and mawkish story such as the one of Mary Poppins lies a true story much deeper and painful. At the centre of the film's narration, we find the father figure, who marks the life of each main character, both Travers and Disney. The result of their lives is indeed the result of their past, which, however, had been very complex for both of them. They both needed to process this father figure in light of their life experiences, and the point of the whole movie is to save this figure, to be able to make peace with the past, and forgive. We realize that Disneyland is in fact the embodiment of Disney's fantastic, ideal world; it was in fact a shelter Disney had created in order to escape from the world his father wanted to impose him. Even though Walt Disney seemed the product of a happy life, we later find out how much he had to struggle during his childhood, working and constantly trying to please his severe father. Travers' childhood was as painful as Disney's, but somehow different: her father loved her very much, but his irresponsible and somehow immature behaviour lead to alcoholism, and eventually his death. Disney and Travers' fathers represent the two extremes: one side we have a too serious father, incapable to see the playful side of life, and on the other side we have a too mischievous one. The only balanced father figure we see in the movie is the one of Ralph, Pamela's chauffeur; even though his life was less than perfect, he tried his best to put his child first. At the end the motion picture of Mary Poppins allows both protagonists to rediscover the best aspect of their fathers. Pamela can finally save his father through imagination, since she was not able to save him in real life. At first I did not know what to expect from this movie. The title is the key to a deep understanding of the movie. Although the audience may think to go to the cinema to see the making of Mary Poppins, there is so much more than that, this once again demonstrates that we should never judge a book from its cover. This is truly a very touching and beautiful movie, which is able to communicate its important message to a wide audience, ranging from children to elders. I am a huge fan of Walt Disney's, and I think Tom Hanks' portrayal was very convincing, and he was able to transmit and to make the audience feel Disney's magic, optimism. Emma Thompson's character was very frustrating, there were points in which you simply wanted to punch her, but this only shows what a great actress she really is. I find it fascinating how a true story can become so magical. I would not have changed anything in this movie; everything was perfectly balanced from the acting to the editing of each scene. In the end I think that their mission to save Mr. Banks was accomplished.

• Oct 06, 2019

One of the most moving films I've ever seen.

One of the most moving films I've ever seen.

• Oct 05, 2019

Uplifting, charming, beautiful and... a little manufactured? But isn't that what books and movies and Disney is all about anyway? To make the real world a little better with some imagination?

• Aug 28, 2019

Disney is struggling for ideas. So they decided to squeeze some more life out of their masterpiece Mary Poppins.

• Jul 29, 2019

Tom Hanks is miscast here. He could not bring out the real Walt Disney -- who appeared every week as himself on "Walt Disney Presents". Disney did not have a forced southern accent, like Hanks deploys, and Hanks' outlook and mannerisms did not fit the reality of the Walt Disney. It is hard to act at this level, granted, but Hanks did not even try. He simply leaned on his already successful career rather than try to act in this movie. Hanks is a movie star, but he shows here he cannot act. The movie would be much better without Hanks in it. This probably is not a hindrance to young people who have never heard or seen the real Disney. But thousands of hours of film on Disney is still around, and Hanks could have watched, learned, and tried.

• Jul 22, 2019

I quite enjoyed this movie, Tom Hanks hit it out of the park as Walt Disney, Emma Thompson was as amazing as always, & Colin Farrel was great too, overall a very solid and enjoyable biopic that shows you the ups & downs of Walt trying to get the Marry Poppins rights to make a movie about it.

• Jul 10, 2019

Definitely enjoyable for those who loved Mary Poppins!

Definitely enjoyable for those who loved Mary Poppins!