Some Voices Reviews

• Apr 21, 2012

Daniel Craig swerves and narrowly avoids the normal pitfalls of playing cuckoo crazy in this restrained schizophrenic drama.

• Feb 21, 2012

Interesting film which centres around the life of a recently discharged mental patient (Daniel Craig) and how he struggles to cope with life in the big bad world. Worth a watch.

• Oct 02, 2010

It's a mixed bag this one. Daniel Craig gives an excellent performance never straying in to the obvious exaggerations so beloved of Academy Award winning portrayals of the disabled, but it has an uneven story with a slow and slightly weak ending.

• Apr 01, 2010

A comedy about mental illness! Daniel Craig can act! Has a good, though predictable story with good strong performances from Daniel, David and Kelly. Lots of comedy, drama, action, emotion - sounds like a bollywood flick!!!

• Mar 10, 2010

Weird. <center><b>Laura</b><i>: Squeeze the breath out of me. It makes me feel safe. </i></center>

• Nov 24, 2009

This is a pre-Bond Daniel Craig film where he plays a middle aged man beset by mental illness and paranoia and denial about his condition. He doesn't trust the pills his brother (David Morrissey) is giving him and he finds it hard to relate to other people and communicate in a way we consider socially acceptable. He then falls into a relationship with a Scottish girl (Kelly MacDonald) who is pregnant by her ex-boyfriend, but he loves her and the happiness she brings convinces him that he doesn't need medical help, so he goes on a hiatus from the pills and things slowly spiral downwards from here on in. I didn't recognise Daniel Craig at all when the film began as he looks so different - older actually, compared to how he is now! He is excellent in this, managing to portray a difficult and complex condition in an authentic and discerning way. I'm not a huge fan of Daniel Craig, but this is certainly one of his break out performances. It's a very strong British ensemble actually, and that adds to the credence of the film and the characters. The relationship between Ray and Laura is lovely to watch because you are routing for them both to be happy together. And there are some overly romantic implausible scenes to enjoy as well - watching as she comes out onto the balcony to see him standing on the beach in the middle of a crop circle he has drawn in the sand is pure gooey. The problem was the script - it was all too neat; too much of an exemplary tick the boxes screenplay. He meets girl, he's happy, he gives up pills, he starts becoming paranoid, he becomes erratic and unstable, there's a big explosive climax, and then an ending where he's recovering and EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK. I think they could have been a bit more inventive and imaginative with the storyline and his behaviour. If he had been a bit more up and down throughout the film it might have created a bit more excitement and interest about what's going to happen in the end. Instead it was pretty predictable and unoriginal. That said, the film didn't over schmaltz things too much (there is all the cooking scenes with his brother...) and that saves the film from being completely innocuous. It reminded me of a film I saw recently called 'Adam', where the girl needs saving by someone who thinks and sees the world differently to her but ultimately that difference means they can never permanently be together. I think it's nye impossible to have a good mental illness/disability film with romance being a key genre, and I don't expect there to ever be one (this coming from a girl who hasn't seen Rain Man or A Beautiful Mind - shhhh!). The acting and chemistry between all the cast was good and this was definitely one of the better efforts coming out of the British film house. It's worth seeing if it's ever on but don't expect to be profoundly blown away by it.

• Oct 17, 2008

My favourite film at the moment!!! Daniel Craig is very good in this film and I fell in love with his character Ray, he's so vurnerable and also funny and I love this film so much! I hope this iwll come out on DVD very soon, as I need a copy! This will be shown on Film4 on 27th October 2008, few days before the new Bond film release. Watch it.

• Mar 25, 2008

Quite good, a typical sara choice. Not so good continuity and Daniel Craig was having a very bad hair day! Worth a look though if you don't want something uplifting.

• Mar 20, 2008

A wonderful film showing Daniel Craig's versatile acting.Loved the mix of funny/touching moments. I would love a copy of this, but can't get one anywhere....

• Mar 02, 2008

Sweet, beautfiul and touching... Not to mention funny at times. Loved it; crazy people rule!