Super 8 Reviews

• Sep 26, 2019

Wasnt expecting that. Exquisite sci fi movie a must watch for the sci fans

Wasnt expecting that. Exquisite sci fi movie a must watch for the sci fans

• Aug 31, 2019

I was excited before the alien appeared, but when it appeared, I was disappointed. If they want to depict a pity alien who just want to go back to his planet, they shouldn't have let him eat human. The climax scene is not impressing at all. I like the zombie film that children took very much. Children acted very well. エイリアンが出てくるまではかなりわくわく。でもエイリアンが出てからが微妙。ただ星に帰りたいだけの可哀想なエイリアンとの感動の別れ、というような演出だけれども、こいつ人食ってるしな(生きたまま保存食…)みたいななんとも言えない気持ちに。子供はみんな可愛くて演技うまい、新人さん集めたとは思えない。エンドロールの子供達が撮った映画大好き。

• Aug 22, 2019

A refreshing nostalgic look back at Summer science fiction. Director J.J. Abrams' sci-fi coming of age picture Super 8 (2011) is a delightful throw back before Stranger Things ever endeared itself to audiences everywhere. Drawing inspiration from Richard Donner's The Goonies, Steven Spielberg's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, as well as Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Abrams finds himself directing his greatest film with Super 8. Set during the end of the hippie era going into the 1980's synth world, Abrams harks back to an older America many have nostalgia for with detailed props, signs, music, clothes, slang, and buildings. Michael Giacchino's score is rousing with inspired melodies to lift your spirits. He does not quite match John Williams' iconic score for E.T. that Giacchino's clearly going for, Super 8's music is pretty enough to stir emotions. J.J. Abrams proves he can competently direct an original film. The scenes are engaging, the characters are engrossing, and the imagery is thoughtful. Super 8 pulls no punches on emotional sequences of parents learning to love their children, children feeling outcast and forgotten by their parents, and friends learning to be brave in the face of adversity. The themes and subject matter are mature for a coming of age film for kids and teenagers. My only gripe with Abrams' style is that he clearly worships Steven Spielberg, Richard Donner, and George Lucas, but he does not have a distinctive style of his own. He recalls past glories with his films, Super 8 being the pinnacle of his career, but he cannot reach the heights of the classics before him. Super 8 takes the group of tough talking children going on an adventure together from The Goonies just like Abrams' kids talk like rowdy adults. Abrams references E.T. with children understanding that the alien just wants to go home, which is a simple yet powerful sentiment that the adults cannot grasp. The science fiction story and backdrop all feel heavily inspired by Close Encounters' scientist plot about understanding alien lifeforms. Abrams takes from all his favorite films and combines them into something new and enjoyable, if all too familiar. I have to mention that Abrams' annoying signature look of constant lens flares glowing up in the camera is present in Super 8 to a lesser extent than any of his other films. Thus, Super 8 is automatically his best lit film with cinematography that appears classically framed. The cool colors and warm tones make Super 8 really feel like a Summer with your friends and I adore that vibe in coming of age films like Rob Reiner's Stand by Me, David Mickey Evans' The Sandlot, or Tommy Lee Wallace's IT. I have to admit Super 8 looks beautiful, whether we are watching old film footage or the most frightening train crash in cinema history. Super 8 attracts you with pleasant and familiar imagery, while telling its own story of maturity, redemption, and love. J.J. Abrams is a great director that yearns to be an auteur like his heroes. I hope he can direct something as passionate and entertaining as Super 8. If he doesn't, we'll always have this wonderful film to remember him. The most exciting aspect to Super 8 is its cast of vibrant and interesting child actors. They certainly give it their all with emotional performances and funny personas. Elle Fanning stands out as the independent and brave young Alice. Her first pretend acting in the boys' zombie film scene at the train station is legitimately enthralling. Fanning's talent was apparent from here on as she continues to take on interesting indie drama roles. Likewise, Joel Courtney's leading character Joe is highly sympathetic and relatable thanks to Courtney's touching performance. He plays a devastated boy, a curious enthusiast, and a romantic boyfriend for Alice well. Furthermore, Gabriel Basso and Zach Mills are funny as the cowardly and incompetant friends Martin and Preston, respectively. Riley Griffiths is passionate about directing and gives an emotional foil presence for Courtney to act opposite. He is very entertaining as the know-it-all movie buff desperate for directing success. Then, I was rolling laughing at Ryan Scott Lee as the pyromaniac and hyper friend Cary. His loyalty and bravery is admirable, but his character is too funny with his endless quips and insults. He is as memorable an actor as Elle Fanning or Joel Courtney. Lastly, Kyle Chandler is simply excellent as the strict, estranged father and policeman to the lead boy. He finds a callous and negligence for his character and sticks with it until the last moment to redeem his broken hearted man. Overall, Super 8 is a cool science fiction story, a relatable coming-of-age narrative, a scary horror thriller, and a funny comedy all in one! J.J. Abrams should be forever proud of Super 8. It's great!

• Aug 19, 2019

This movie is very charming

This movie is very charming

• Aug 02, 2019

It's got it's flaws and it's hang ups. But I enjoyed the finale and the bravery of the children. Plus the plot is quite mysterious and cool.

• Jul 30, 2019

So odd that this is the most original movie J.J Abrams has written and directed yet feels the most derivative. I think I finally now know why now. This movie Super 8 is more concerned with recreating memorable works from past Spielberg movies rather than fully committing to it's own story outright! It wouldn't be until the Duffer Brother released Stranger Things a few years latter on Netflix that is movie is laughably derivative by comparison. Unlike Stranger Things, your convinced Steven Spielberg directed a movie exactly like this in the 80's. Or at the very least Steven King wrote a book like this as well. In either cases what it comes down to is the same thing Abrams did with Star Trek and eventually Star Wars. He has made movie that's less an homage to Spielberg but a counter fit copy of one of his originals works. All the stuff that isn't ripping off Spielberg is actually the most interesting parts. I like the idea of the kids making a movie with in a movie and that it's fun gory zombie flick! Also the supposed romance between the main kid and the girl provides the movie with some much need emotional depth with these characters and it's never forced either. Unfortunately that's where the depth stops the rest are just the same Small town archetypes you'd expect from a movie like this. The main plot pertaining to a monster released in the the town is treated like, train + explosion = monster released, blah blah blah you get the picture. Maybe I'm too cynical here but I would like for J.J to try and write his own story for once! With characters that live and breath beyond their strict roles that has a voice of it's own. I think J.J Abrams is a great visual and technical director! I really do! But I still don't really know what this guy's voice is a filmmaker. Even if he has one at all! Everyone keeps talking this guy up like he is the next Spielberg. He is far from being worth successor if this is what he ends up doing to work he clearly likes.

• Jul 11, 2019

This was as dull as it gets. Not even an appearance from long term collaborator Simon Pegg could have saved this directorial effort for JJ Abrams.

• Jun 28, 2019

Some good performances from the kids and a decent job at establishing a setting and movie feel for the decade the it takes place in. Abrams also gets many masterful shots that elevate the tension. Sadly overall the movie is far too standard and becomes a bland summer movie that you've experience a few dozen times.

• Jun 04, 2019

One of the best movies to come out of its genre since The Goonies. But in actual fact more thrilling and scary than that even! Spielberg at his finest production again and it sure takes you back to his classic 80s hits like E.T. Funny, witty, scary and fun. A hit with my 9 year old. This is where Stranger Things clearly got it's inspiration from!!

• May 06, 2019

Boring and the children actors are annoying.

Boring and the children actors are annoying.