The Big Short Reviews

• 4d ago

A very well done, engrossing, unique movie. An extremely serious, though dull, topic was taken and broken down in a way that is easy for viewers to understand and keeps the attention of an audience. Humor and the selective use of celebrities were common occurrences in the film, which is not what someone would reasonably expect, but it oddly enough works very well. The use of well-known songs also adds value to the experience. It's kind of jaw-dropping how many people and entities failed to act to prevent the recession, and although The Big Short comes at this from a humorous angle-just how stupid and greedy can all these people be?-the end message is very sobering. It seems that very little has changed to prevent this same thing from happening again in the future.

• 5d ago

This movie finds highly entertaining ways to explain very arcane financial concepts without dumbing things down the way Hollywood normally does. It's a funny but true David vs Goliath story that explains the worst economic crisis since the 1930s and is still highly relevant today. Spoiler alert: David wins but Goliath lives on and will be back.

• 6d ago

Most of it went way over my head but continued to intrigue me. Crazy true story.

• Oct 28, 2019

Cómico e interesante, de las mejores películas sobre este tema.

Cómico e interesante, de las mejores películas sobre este tema.

• Oct 16, 2019

This may as well be a horror film...

This may as well be a horror film...

• Oct 09, 2019

Smart, interesting and brilliantly casted...The Big Short checks all the boxes of a masterpiece!

• Oct 06, 2019

Aug 2019 Didn’t even recognize that was Brad Pitt… Overall learnt quite a bit

Aug 2019 Didn’t even recognize that was Brad Pitt… Overall learnt quite a bit

• Sep 24, 2019

Fun and probably informative.

Fun and probably informative.

• Sep 19, 2019

The Big Short (2015) One of the best performances from Steve Carell and Brad Pit. This is a very complicated story to follow but some of my favorite parts of this film is when they are simplifying complicated concepts in simple terms people can understand. The best ones for me is the cooking one and the betting on cards and people betting that others will bet that they bet on this choice. I was not a fan of the shaky cam in this film but this film does have a lot of good aspects to it as well as good casting. It is a crazy story and it is unbelievable to believe unless you saw this film. What I do like about this film and I think the way they use it is utilized in a way that works and is not over-utilized which is the Ferris Beuler/Deadpool 4th wall breaking talking to the audience about complex concepts or what is reality vs manufactured for the film. I think the three actors where I am impressed by their performances is Steve Carrel, Brad Pit, & Christian Bale. Theirs three actors are doing characters that are so different in performances and personalities than what they typically portray in other films they had done before. This film does have swearing and brief moments of nudity. This is a good film to watch for rewatchability multiple times because some of the concepts are so high up there intellectually right off the bat that it is difficult to follow unless you are familiar with the concepts. It took me at least a second watch to understand what all was going on in the film. The one aspect I was not a big fan of in this film is the music choices in this film. Just not a fan of all the music but it does represent a more diverse playlist. I also am not a fan of the handheld shaky cam scenes in this film. Those made this film look cheep and like a amateur filmed the film.

• Sep 19, 2019

This is a film that focuses on an economic meltdown that people are still suffering from, has to explain the broad strokes of the hard economics that led to the catastrophe, and makes protagonists out of the people who ultimately made millions from the misery of others. The fact that it is enjoyable at all is a miracle. The fact that it's directed by a man (Adam McKay) whose most complex cinematic task to that point had been the big fight scene in Anchorman is... whatever the next step up from a miracle is. Using hyper energetic editing, camera work and multiple story strands, the film refuses to be mired in the economic theory of its plot, and instead pulses along to the inevitable, crushing denouement. Christian Bale adds another entry in his journal of weirdo characters, Brad Pitt is measured and calm and zen in a way that no one else is, Ryan Gosling gets to be funny which is always my favourite Gosling, and Steve Carell gets loud and belligerent but never hides his heart in the middle of all this arseholery. In fact all the actors do a fine job at making the audience care about characters who are, by and large, massive dicks. Having fun, dropping in celebrity cameos, stopping the film to explain certain concepts directly to the audience, and never taking anything too seriously, McKay crafts a film that entertained me so much, I forgot that the end was coming, and so when it did, I felt it all the more.