The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Her Reviews

• Sep 12, 2019

Comparatively, the chapter achieves a higher ideal and why not, it has got some of the best conversation between Chastain and Hurt. The Disappearance Of Eleanor Rigby Ned Benson, the writer and director, sings a love song of two stanzas in this trilogy. A love story told from the perspective of both the partners, the film is properly balanced. Going through the script Benson's most of the time is spent upon just doing that. Balancing it. And as much effortful it would be, it is equally easy on the screen. And that is his biggest achievement and probably compliment too. The film looks easy. It flows smoothly. The supporting characters makes sense, the conversations necessary and the circumstances falls into place naturally. And maybe that's why the individual chapters speaks more to you. The complex nature of the other side is thrown right at your face which you aren't expecting, especially in a film like such, of a genre like such. The film divided itself visually in two colours. These colors represent the nature of the characters that steers the film. For instance the blue shade that James McAvoy carries is the suppressed emotional background that never makes him decide anything. And if it does, it is not his favourite position to be at. He can't choose. Jessica Chastain is quite opposite on that note. Her sunny shaded colour signifies the active nature of hers on that relationship, where her good or bad deeds and self-appointed position of choosing things; deliberately or accidentally, lights the fire. Her Jessica Chastain is getting a fair share. And I say this for, Benson didn't want to get the "her" side of the story wrong. You can see that clearly in the film. She is peeled properly and more sensitively. To be fair, her character has to cross two boundaries and while balancing both of these tracks parallel-y, you can feel Benson trying too hard. For that brief period, the film loses the grasp but it is a knee scratch in this war.

• Dec 20, 2016

A beautiful, powerful movie about loss cutting seeming perfection in half. All the performances hit home, but Chastain's brings fire to every shot.

• Maymay A Super Reviewer
    Jan 22, 2016

It was truly interesting yet the story's pacing was a little slow. I guess in the end I could just say that I had high expectations and ended up a little bit disappointed. I'd still consider seeing Him and Them, though.

• Sep 20, 2015

Full review (of Him and Her) at WordsonFilms.com While the film has its weaknesses and does not always achieve all of its aims, the fact that it aims as high as it does helps to keep the whole thing afloat. While this story of romance on the rocks and of two individuals struggling under the weight of personal tragedy does drag a bit in spots, it is also beautifully told and genuinely touching. It's not perfect, but it's a strong and rather promising debut from Ned Benson nonetheless.

• Jul 03, 2015

This movie was so incredibly slow that I am actually resentful for having watched 1 hour of it. After 1 hour I went online to see what the ending is (I couldn't bear to sit through till the end). From what I am reading the ending doesn't help things at all. I felt nothing for these characters; I was never drawn into the story; I was bored and annoyed.

• Apr 05, 2015

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Her is not without it's moments, or great performances, but it lacks something that I can't put my finger on, and is a bit of a bore.

• Mar 31, 2015

The plot and characters are so dull that it overshadows the brilliance of the concept. It's slow-paced and the female protagonist has little depth.

• Mar 25, 2015

An unlikeable protagonist, paced as if by a metronome, a confusing ending....The picture just doesn't work.

• Mar 24, 2015

This got Oscar hype? Wut? A meandering boring pointless mess of a movie.

This got Oscar hype? Wut? A meandering boring pointless mess of a movie.

• Mar 23, 2015

One of the most unique films last year!! Love the story line!!

One of the most unique films last year!! Love the story line!!