The House of the Devil Reviews

• Damien Black
    Oct 23, 2019

Satanic cold and dark unholy black night in the middle of nowhere. Pentagram burns the mark of the devil into flesh with blood dripping red. Sacrifice on an alter of death.

• Oct 18, 2019

'The House of the Devil' ratchets up the tension slowly and gives the viewer a tense yet enjoyable ride. This is visually quite the throwback which for me is the best part to the film. Writer and director Ti West manages to set the scene well. It's got a twilight zone vibe. The references to "mother" are a clear homage to another film that uses lighting and camera to reduce space. This feature is in no way Hitchcockian, but those lofty standards could be found in future West works. Final Score: 7.2/10

• Oct 15, 2019

Excellent execution of atmosphere, though the film makers expect the atmosphere to carry the film. As an audience you invest a lot of time into the movie with the expectation of a well executed pay off since the suspense is so well done, but the third reel has a disappointing pay off. This movie is a slow burn that burnt itself out for me.

• Oct 13, 2019

A lost underrated gem.

A lost underrated gem.

• Oct 10, 2019

This was one of the biggest flops I have ever seen. A boring horror movie is a sad, sad thing.

• Oct 09, 2019

Its dumb and waste of money.

Its dumb and waste of money.

• Sep 09, 2019

This movie was really boring. Easily one of the worst "horror" films I've ever seen. I don't see why anyone would give this a good review. It takes almost 40 minutes to even get to the house, first of all. It's just a story about a college age young woman with no personality outside of her walkman. And boy does she really lose control of herself with her headphones on, what a joke. Once she finally does get to the house, it's just her snooping around the place for another 45 minutes. Basically the movie was about the most boring cute girl looking around someone else's house. The entirety of the film could have comprised about 8 minutes worth of a youtube video. Nothing even remotely interesting happens until 12 minutes or so from the credits, and even that was poorly done. Seeing the ratings of this movie has officially turned me off of ever trusting reviews again. Not scary, not thrilling, barely even a movie, devoid of any significant personality or style. Pass on this. Don't even bother starting it.If you do watch it, just skip to the last 20 minutes because literally nothing remotely interesting or important happens before that point. Unless you want to see a screening of a woman pouting, eating, pouting, snooping, and just wandering around aimlessly. I actually signed up on here just to give this movie a review it deserved. If I could give it 0 stars, i would, because that's what it deserves. Cow farts are scarier than this movie.

• Aug 16, 2019

Amazing slow build...very effective horror film

Amazing slow build...very effective horror film

• Aug 16, 2019

Ti West pays homage to old horror movies with the style and approach he gives to The House of The Devil while also solidly crafting the two first acts with enough time for the characters to establish themselves, a tense and slow-burning narrative and setup that knows how to frighten and some spine-chilling scenes. Yet, when it reaches the third final act is when, for me personally, loses its magic that so effectively had been creating. It starts to feel messy, sloppy, and not so rewarding. The House of The Devil for sure has some smart and fun factors that make it pretty fun to watch if you're looking for something intriguing and that leaves you thinking beyond what is shown in the movie, but as I said, the lack of rewardingness after getting invested in the film is what makes this somewhat a bit dull and forgettable.

• Apr 28, 2019

10 years away from the hype, it’s still a slow burn, but I liked and appreciated it much more away from the hype.