The Irishman Reviews

• Deborah J
    2d ago

Great actors/acting. Longer movie than I thought.

Great actors/acting. Longer movie than I thought.

• Diana S
    3d ago

Fabulous movie. Characters portrayed very much as those in real life at the time. Great detail of the 50's....the music, the clothing, the cars, the home decor, the politics......everything.

• JD
    3d ago

Great film about life and the mob.

Great film about life and the mob.

• norman
    3d ago

Will be award wins for De Niro and Pesci. A movie classic.

Will be award wins for De Niro and Pesci. A movie classic.

• LHI
    4d ago

I thought that The Irishman was heavy on violence and turmoil and the malfeasance of the Mob. It did not offer the strange charm and beauty or develop the dysfunction of the Sheeran family members. As a story of mob rule and dynamics, it was accurate as a portrayal of the destruction of James Sheeran and his family, it was not as complete and tragic a picture as the Coppola series, The Godfathe

• Ferne
    5d ago

Very good movie with an engrossing plot, excellent acting and interesting characters. A little too long it could have been shortened by at least a half hour.

• Celeste
    6d ago

Left after a hour! Miss cast Dinero...not believable. A more appropriate choice for the Irishman would have been Liam Neeson. Meandering story line!!!

• Isa BRENEISEN
    6d ago

Too long, but great acting. Confusing trying to keep all the characters together or separately! It seemed as if everyone was in danger of being killed! Who do you trust?

• Cindy
    6d ago

Interesting. The movie answered questions about the Union, Govt, and mob that was on-going in the Midwest and world-wide at that time. I liked how it seemed to be filmed like a “home movie”.

• Sean Steffen
    Dec 07, 2019

The Irishman (AKA: I Heard You Paint Houses) This is a three & a half hour long masterpiece. That length may seem intimidating to some people. I’m here to tell you that not a single frame was wasted. This is a movie which spans about 5 1/2 decades and is about the life of a killer for a top organized crime family so you do need some time. The uncanny valley from the de-aging process has gotten a lot better so it’s not a jarring experience like Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy or Peter Cushing in Rogue One for the full movie. The movie tells the tale of Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran. A former president in the International Brotherhood Of Teamsters. Hired muscle & close personal friend of Jimmy Hoffa & a member/contracted killer for the Bufalino crime family. You get the feeling at some point where you begin to wonder wether or not what you are watching actually happened. DeNiro narrates the tale as Frank and “Frank” tends to downplays a lot of the crimes he’s accused of which leads to a lot of laughs. This movie is actually WAY more funny than you’d think on the surface. That’s mainly due to the performances and rapport from the AMAZING cast! DeNiro & Pacino are fantastic and give incredible performances. Pesci I honestly could see getting a Best Supporting Actor nod. Bobby Cannavale, Harvey Keitel, and even Sebastian Maniscalco all show up in memorable roles. And yes... Jim Norton as Don Rickles. Now the $64,000 question.... Is this your Best Picture this year? It’s hard to say. Personally I loved it and hope that it gets a lot of awards as they are absolutely deserved. The Netflix aspect does unfortunately hurt its chances. It hit me yesterday why Scorsese has been shitting on Marvel so much in the past few months. IMO, He’s campaigning for The Irishman to not get shunned by the Academy. He’s not so much campaigning for his movie but rather he’s championing “real cinema” over Marvel’s formulaic blockbusters. He’s appealing to those Academy members who agree that Marvel are ruining the opportunity for movie genres other than just “Superheroes” to be released in theaters. As a result he HAD to go to Netflix to get this made because it was too “long & expensive” in 2019 for the studios to take a chance on. That’s my theory at least. Bottom line... SEE THIS MOVIE!