The King Reviews

• Feb 27, 2019

A nice road trip movie about Elvis and Americana.

A nice road trip movie about Elvis and Americana.

• Jan 05, 2019

Big Bag of garBAGE..... mY MOM GOT THIS CAUSE THE THOUGHT IT WAS ONLY ABOUT ELVIS. ITS LIKE 10% ELVIS THR REST IS GARBAGE ABOUT TRASHING TRUMP AND SAYING AMERICA SUCKS. aLSO IT HAS PEOPLE CURSING AND RAPPING WITH THE F WORD AND N WORDS. BUNCH OF GARBAGE.

• Dec 12, 2018

I don't see how you can't like this film. Even the appearances of celebs who I previously disliked, I got something out of what they had to say. Even Dan Rather, who I feared would ruin the middle of the movie. Lots of fresh non-Elvis music, too. I'll watch it again. I think the premise of the movie is valid, but it is not a dogmatic presentation. A sad story, told in an earnest, light-hearted, humurous and heartfelt manner. Jarecki does it again.

• Oct 22, 2018

aN ambitious look at Elvis' back story. Maybe it's a familiar story to elvis fans, but for one who's not, like me, it was a wonderful metaphor for how a talented person (usa) filled with trust and naivite (USA) can be taken advantage of by con artists and blame-shifters (usa), and decline into self-destruction due to innocent greed (USA). I loved how people who knew elvis, whose music was influenced by elvis, or who otherwise have strong feelings about elvis were invited to reminisce, sing or opine in the back seat of Elvis' Rolls Royce as it crossed the USA!

• Aug 19, 2018

Unusual documentary tracing Presley's life with a colourfully mixed collage of statements from film stars, musicians and analysts; the result is both a portrait of the artist as well as a critical comment to his cultural impact.

• Aug 17, 2018

Update...I apologize. My rant about the sound was not the fault of the producer/director. I was the fault of the theater. I'm so sorry to have shot from the hip. . Please ignore all comment about sound problems. I will go see it again now that I have informed and straightened out the theater. It was a new guy running the show who didn't know what the heck he was doing. Please notice I up my star rating to a full 5. This film had enormous possibilities.There was/is a wealth of info and drama to be seen. I say seen because this pos movie had the worst sound track/dialogue rendering I have ever,make that never heard. Music is far,far too fuckin' loud. All the dialogue was over powered so as to be inaudible. It wasn't the theater. I've seenalotoffilmsinthesametheaterbuthaveneverhadsuchahorrible experience. All that said, If you can tolerate such auditory assault better than I, by all means give it a go. More of an indictment of the shithole country we were and are than revealing Elvis. Nice, nee, great effort on the filmmaker part but some one should have told him to fix the fuckin' sound. It wasn't just me. There was a theater full of pissed off folks.

• Aug 12, 2018

A fresh look at Elvis.

A fresh look at Elvis.

• Jul 26, 2018

I eventually walked out of this movie. The entire premise is because Elvis was inspired by African Americans he is racist. It is just such a bizarre slant on someone who made great music. Just an awful premise.

• Jul 21, 2018

85% BS - It's a bait and switch. When you say "the king" with a picture of elvis and the film is a political commentary (not a documentary) it turns into another Hollywood ripoff

• Jul 20, 2018

Unwieldy and unfocused (or maybe too focused) this is a fascinating take on the parallel stories of Elvis and America at large. It doesn't always work, but it's never boring and raises some good questions. My biggest beef : not enough Elvis!