Year of the Dog Reviews

• Mar 19, 2018

this movie is based on great ideas which really don't materialize. Excruciatingly slow pace. Finished it feeling I'd wasted and hour and a half of my life.

• Dec 31, 2017

A very fine, well done and pleasant portrayal about loneliness, sickly relationships with pets, objects, or people; and the seek of purposefulness on life. Every grown up person must watch movies like these, especially when life gets incomprehensible.

• Aug 31, 2017

This one is a nice little slice of life about a woman who loses a beloved pet and tries to fill that hole in her heart by adopting numerous changes to her lifestyle, with a new man, a new pet, even a new diet all adding unforeseen complications to things. It's both funny and bittersweet, and well worth a rental at the very least.

• Aug 22, 2017

Definitely not a comedy. it actually makes you cry rather than laugh. It shows what happens to people who become excessively obsessed with animal welfare. Molly does a really good job here.

• Aug 04, 2017

I really enjoyed this movie, I thought it was very touching but at the same time offbeat and weird which is not a bad thing it's a very good thing, also Molly Shannon knocked it out of the park with her performance.

• Feb 22, 2017

Incongruity personified.

Incongruity personified.

• Apr 11, 2015

There is so much more to this little film than meets the eye. Molly Shannon gives a brilliant performance in the leading role. Actually, all of the actors are sublime. An uncomfortably realistic film with comedic moments -- none of which are out of the realm of the unbelievable. Exceptional.

• Mar 11, 2015

Too depressing to enjoy

Too depressing to enjoy

• Feb 22, 2015

Well acted with sensitive direction and story but stiff and very bland overall.

Well acted with sensitive direction and story but stiff and very bland overall.

• Aug 17, 2014

I really liked the first half (the scenes concerning Pencil's death are incredibly moving), but I thought it went off in some kinda bizarre, preachy directions that didn't really work (and that's coming from an animal lover) and that White covered much better a few years later with Enlightened. In fact much of this movie's themes on activism seem kind of redundant to that show, including the almost identical ending. I still liked it, but plot-wise it's a bit hard to swallow.