Family Guy: Season 1 (1999)

SEASON:

Season 1
Family Guy

Critics Consensus

At first blush Family Guy bears a venomous wit that rivals other adult animated fare, but its inaugural season is marred by an infantile sensibility and shoddy animation.

42%

TOMATOMETER

Critic Ratings: 12

74%

Audience Score

User Ratings: 283
User image
  • User image

    Super Reviewer

    Rate this season

    Oof, that was Rotten.

    Meh, it passed the time.

    It’s good – I’d recommend it.

    Awesome!

    So Fresh: Absolute Must See!

    What did you think of this tv season? (optional)



  • User image

    Super Reviewer

    Step 2 of 2

    How did you get your ticket?

    You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.

  • User image

    Super Reviewer

    Rate this season

    Oof, that was Rotten.

    Meh, it passed the time.

    It’s good – I’d recommend it.

    Awesome!

    So Fresh: Absolute Must See!

    What did you think of this tv season? (optional)

  • How did you get your ticket?

Episodes

1
Air date: Jan 31, 1999
2
Air date: Apr 11, 1999
3
Air date: Apr 18, 1999
4
Air date: Apr 25, 1999
5
Air date: May 2, 1999
6
Air date: May 9, 1999
7
Air date: May 16, 1999

Family Guy: Season 1 Photos

Tv Season Info

Series 1 introduces the animated antics of the constantly grousing Griffin family, who put some fun in dysfunctional. While dad Peter is a tad dim and lazy, mom Lois is none of the above. Then there are hapless teens Meg and Chris; sassy baby Stewie, who's wise (and a wise guy) beyond his years; and family dog Brian, who might be the smartest of the lot. Series creator Seth MacFarlane voices many of the regular characters.

Critic Reviews for Family Guy Season 1

All Critics (12) | Top Critics (6)

The bottom line is that The Family Guy is worse than dumb; it's not funny.

Jan 27, 2019 | Full Review…

What is laughable is the clunky animation, which makes the static, retrograde stuff pumped out by MacFarlane's old employer, Hanna-Barbera, seem state-of-the-art.

Nov 26, 2013 | Rating: D | Full Review…

You'd have to bet against Family Guy reaching that level of insight based on an uneven premiere whose humor ranges from inspired to cheap and sophomoric.

Apr 6, 2018 | Full Review…

The writers try to see how far they can go in self-congratulatory irreverence.

Apr 6, 2018 | Full Review…

"Family Guy" pushes the creative envelope in loopy directions once thought unimaginable.

Apr 12, 2018 | Full Review…
Top Critic

Nothing warms the heart of a TV critic more than a TV show that bites the hand that feeds it.

Apr 6, 2018 | Rating: 3/5 | Full Review…

Family Guy is occasionally quite funny ---- but only occasionally. And it's often rather crude -- quite often.

Apr 6, 2018 | Full Review…

Much of the show's brilliance is immediately apparent.

Nov 26, 2013 | Rating: 8.9/10 | Full Review…

Family Guy, like South Park, is nasty without being particularly amusing, cynical without being perceptive, and ugly as sin.

Apr 6, 2018 | Full Review…

Family Guy is very funny; the quirky scenarios can induce giggles or even guffaws in grown-ups.

Apr 11, 2018 | Rating: 3/5 | Full Review…

"Family Guy" is irreverent, but decidedly unfunny.

Jan 19, 2019 | Rating: C | Full Review…

Although I'm partial to the human face of live action, I admit animation lends itself particularly well to the free-association comedy of Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane.

Apr 6, 2018 | Full Review…

Audience Reviews for Family Guy: Season 1

  • Jul 22, 2019
    It's a good first effort
  • May 23, 2019
    Pretty great first season
  • Mar 01, 2019
    Family guy season 1 is good, my favorite episode of season is the seventh episode, this episode have a plot who holds you
  • Mar 01, 2019
    Family guy season 1 is funny, the seventh episode is good and your drama holds you.
  • Jan 12, 2019
    Full of early installment weirdness and awkward animation, the first season of Family Guy nevertheless has enough witty humour and great voice acting to go along with the memorable characters for one of the most popular adult animated series of all time,
  • May 20, 2018
    10% of the jokes are actually good, and then the writers enter the room, leaving 90% of the jokes amounting between budget-saving still shticks, redundancy, and bits akin to "cartoonz iz jus lyk peepuls!". nihilistic to even itself, rendering what scant drama it tries to cull inert from the first second.
  • Jan 28, 2018
    With only 7 episodes Family Guy Season 1 establishes the show's brilliance and knack for smart social commentary while also bringing political incorrectness to mainstream television.
  • Nov 30, 2017
    An absolute gem of a show everything bar the animation is a bit mundane.
  • Apr 13, 2017
    was hilarious but slightly outdated and watched them so many times that i still remember most of the jokes (about 6 viewings)
  • Dec 23, 2016
    Great And Hilarious Show!

News & Features