His Dark Materials: Season 1 Reviews

• 9h ago

Failed to maintain my attention. Could have been more.

Failed to maintain my attention. Could have been more.

• 2d ago

Maybe because I am such a huge fan of the books I expected way more. It felt like they were playing to the HP heartstrings which this is not. I still have hope it will turn around though.

• 2d ago

For the life of me I cant understand why this has such a high rating. They took a brilliant work of adventurous young adult fantasy and managed to make it completely void of life and excitement. After two episodes the characters have done little more than stand in rooms and talk. The world looks empty and not at all lived In. Most scenes involve people talking with close shots of their face. Theres little exploration of the world or its inhabitants. The characters are flat and lacking any personality. They managed to take a phenomenal piece of source material and strip all the soul and depth from it. I had such high Hope's for this series and found myself irritated by the lack of intrigue and wonder.

• 3d ago

This show is for sure a masterpiece next to the movie Golden Compass. The cast is acting tremendously good, such as Dafne Keen playing Lyra and Ruth Wilson playing Mrs Coulter. Being a fan of the books, I can only highly recommend to watch it!

• 5d ago

A great suspenseful fantasy series with phenomenal performances, especially Ruth Wilson, James McAvoy and Dafne Keen.

• 5d ago

Two episodes in, the story is getting mysterious, glad I haven't read the book nor have I watched the film. But the show is really interesting with all its beautiful production design and how all that is photographed. The sequences and cinematography are wonderful along with the well suitable music score. 4.5/5

More than I expected!

More than I expected!

It's been great so far

It's been great so far

• 6d ago

Friggin awesome so far! Way better than the Golden Compass movie from a while back. So far I love everything about it, can't wait for the rest of the season

• 6d ago

I liked the first episode and I'm hoping for more good episodes to follow. It's hard to tell yet, if the show is going to be as great as I hope I will. I have to admit, I thought it was a bit slow and I liked the movie version better. But nevertheless it looks promising.