Looking for Alaska: Season 1 Reviews

• 3d ago

The story is captivating, hilarious, and devastating. Keep a box of tissues on hand.

• Nov 19, 2019

I never cried so much watching a tv show. I read the book years ago and making this was the best idea i've seen. So recommended.

• Nov 14, 2019

My favorite book growing up was Looking for Alaska by John Green. When Hulu decided to adapt the book into a show, I could not contain my excitement and fear to watch it. The series is only eight episodes and I unhealthily binged the entire show in two days. The show did a beautiful job at capturing the story as well as all the perfectly imperfect characters. The show begins with Miles (Pudge) Halter, a teenage boy who has a strange hobby of remembering peoples last words. After hearing the last words of the famous poet Francois Rabelais, "I go now to seek a great perhaps," Miles decides to enroll in Culver Creek Academy to search for his great perhaps. There he meets a group of smart, lively pranksters- Alaska Young, Chip (The Colonel) Martin, and Takumi Hikohito. As I watched the show, I found myself hating and loving each character. They are full of teenage angst, studios students, rebellious, impulsive, messy, intelligent, and they are completely human and totally relatable. The production of the show exceeded my expectations. As I watched Pudge and the gang explore their lives at Culver Creek, I noticed how much small detail was put into every set to capture the personalities of the characters and what it would be like living at and going to Culver Creek Academy. The show held true to the book in every way. As the characters navigated their way through their "labyrinth of suffering" to their "great perhaps," my attention was captured fully to the bittersweet end.

• Nov 12, 2019

Absolutely one of the best coming of age shows I've ever watched. Can't think of anything better at the moment. The characters, the theme, and even the cinematography choices were just wonderful. I was depressed after the last episode cause I didn't want it to end.

• Nov 11, 2019

Could not have been done better! Amazing

Could not have been done better! Amazing

• Nov 11, 2019

Just brilliant. Well acted, heartfelt and emotional.

Just brilliant. Well acted, heartfelt and emotional.

• Nov 09, 2019

Despite some teen clichés, this is a Masterpiece. I think it will set the new frontier of teen drama. And it will stand the trial of time. 15 years from now, some of us will still love " our crooked neighbour with our crooked hearts " and will still looking for Alaska ( who is the archetype of the real teenager, the one who make mistakes as we all do - I sure did mine). I am glad that I lived to see this series :great cast, great music, great frames. Episode four can stand alone in theatres - a cinematic poem.

• Nov 07, 2019

I cried so much... The actors felt so real and relatable but at the time so unbelievably beautiful and flawed. I did not read the book but Looking for Alaska has to be the best teen drama I've ever seen. I loved Alaska's and the Colonel's acting. It will make you laugh , cry and feel depressingly optimistic about life and love.

• Nov 07, 2019

It is very rare to watch a series or movie that is actually better than the book, but this series is just that. I read the book 8 years ago and loved it but in retrospect, a lot of it was dated (which makes sense being that it was written in the early 2000s). This series had a great makeover fit for 2019 standards including the commentary on the intersections of gender, race, sexuality, and race, all while keeping the theme of friendship, love, life, and death as the main narrative arc throughout the show. I haven't been this moved by a show in a while. Denzel Love (The Colonel) was incredible as were all of the rest of the actors. A+.

• Nov 06, 2019

Beautiful adaptation of a beautiful book!

Beautiful adaptation of a beautiful book!